Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just won an auction on shopgoodwill for.a PZ1 w/ FA28-105 for $42. It was something of a gamble because the pictures are of a PZ10 w/ FA28-80 from another listing by the same seller. It also looks like the eBay speculator who used to snipe every auction is gone.

06-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Film isn't going anywhere, its just not mainstream anymore, you will have to get it at a dedicated camera store or online, and there won't be as many players involved in selling it, but for the few that have decided to stick with it, its a clearly profitable business right now I hear and its getting to be more so as fewer and fewer companies are getting a larger share of what strangely enough seems to be a growing market (thank the hipsters as noted in above posts).
Film isn't just for hipsters. In the 1st World maybe, but not everywhere. Last time I was in Guatemala, film was quite prominent. Digital requires a more developed infrastructure and more disposable cash. In Guatemala, a decent laptop computer or prosumer dSLR price rivaled that of the average home. Film makes much more sense when the nearest power outlet is a long ways away, and flaky -- off the grid. Film will exist for quite awhile, until global population dynamics change.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-18-2012 at 08:00 PM.
06-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bottom feeders I am getting tired of hearing your complaints.
Why did you assume prices would continue to decrease?
And why didn't you stock up when the market hit bottom?

Chris
06-19-2012, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Who says we didn't

06-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Who says we didn't
Wow, impressive collection!
06-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Bottom feeders I am getting tired of hearing your complaints.
Why did you assume prices would continue to decrease?
And why didn't you stock up when the market hit bottom?

Chris
How do you know when the market hits bottom?

I am concerned that MF prices will start to rise. I'm getting more and more tempted to get a 645 body of some sort, but they're much more expensive to begin with. If they go up even more I'll never get one.
06-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think the first-order derivative has to be zero.

06-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I am concerned that MF prices will start to rise. I'm getting more and more tempted to get a 645 body of some sort, but they're much more expensive to begin with. If they go up even more I'll never get one.
The market is a wave - with different cameras / lenses going up and down at diffrent times. It all depends on supply and demand at the moment - heavy internet buzz will create demand, for example.

In the case of the 645, the intro of the digital 645 had an instant effect on lens prices and availabilty, especially at the wider focal lengths. This has subsided a bit but the prices are still higher than they were when the 645 was an 'orphan' mount.

Similarly, the aps-c slr's bumped the A lenses. The mirrorless cameras bump all adaptable lenses... That said, the M42 world, save a few cult items, are not likely to be collectible any time soon, there's just too much out there.
06-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I think the first-order derivative has to be zero.

When I have to pay someone to cart away my camera bag . . .
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

When I have to pay someone to cart away my camera bag . . .
Then it's time for a pack-llama. Name her Ansel. Treat her well. But nothing kinky, OK?
06-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #41
Pentaxian

If I ever try MF it won't be Pentax, I'm afraid, too expensive. I had my eye on a Mamiya SLR with an 80mm f/1.9 lens but at almost €400 it was too expensive for me. I drool over the DoF that can be obtained with a setup like that.
06-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

If I ever try MF it won't be Pentax, I'm afraid, too expensive. I had my eye on a Mamiya SLR with an 80mm f/1.9 lens but at almost €400 it was too expensive for me. I drool over the DoF that can be obtained with a setup like that.
HOLGA!

Well, you won't get thin DOF with that, but you might find an old Ikonta 6x6 folder with a Tessar 80/2.8. This is AOV+DOF equivalent to 28/1 on my K20D. Woo woo.
06-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Well, you won't get thin DOF with that, but you might find an old Ikonta 6x6 folder with a Tessar 80/2.8. This is AOV+DOF equivalent to 28/1 on my K20D. Woo woo.
Just in case you feel like standing a page written in braille upright and only want the raised portions of the characters in focus.
I already take too many pictures up close with cat and dog noses out of focus at 1.4 on my A50
Too much of a good thing...
06-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
Just in case you feel like standing a page written in braille upright and only want the raised portions of the characters in focus.
I already take too many pictures up close with cat and dog noses out of focus at 1.4 on my A50
What I mentioned is also pretty equivalent to 55/2 on APS-C. Stand back a little and the noses will be sharp too.
06-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I don't know what people are going to do with those film bodies when films will be difficult to procure and even more difficult to get processed. And those days are not very far.
They look nice in the china cabinet or on the mantle.

Steve

(If one must feed the troll, it is best to give him candy...)