Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

ZX-5n replacement

My formerly trusty ZX-5n has been afflicted with the infamous mirror-lock malady. I understand that this is common, and due to a plastic vs. brass gear. Professional repair cost is prohibitive, and I am not up to DIY. Can someone suggest an autofocus Pentax film model that has at least the features of the ZX-5n and seems to have a good performance record? Thanks in advance.

James

06-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PZ-1p, Z-1p, Z-5p (bigger)
MZ-S (expensive)
MZ-L/ZX-L (smaller viewfinder, possible same gear issue)
MZ-3 (hard to find, possible same gear issue)
SF1, SF1n (bigger)
06-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesmck Quote
...Professional repair cost is prohibitive, and I am not up to DIY....
A friend of mine is happy with his PZ-1 and has been using it since the mid 1990's. I'd call it a durable camera based on his experience.

Or you might consider a third option - there are some people on this forum who have experience with the mirror gear repair and might be willing to do yours for less than a professional shop would. User "violini" is one (though I can't speak for him for sure), and I am another, for starters.

If you do end up buying a different camera, as you are planning now, I hope you'll consider sending your old ZX to one of us to salvage parts from or to repair, rather than tossing it in the trash. Anyway good luck with whichever route you take.
06-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Or you might consider a third option - there are some people on this forum who have experience with the mirror gear repair and might be willing to do yours for less than a professional shop would
Thanks, PM sent.

06-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All MZ/ZX series cameras except the MZ-S use that same plastic gear.
If you want a reliable Pentax body look elsewhere (to earlier models).

Chris
06-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to go with getting the ZX-5n repaired. I have an MX, but would also like to have an autofocus body. -- James
06-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
All MZ/ZX series cameras except the MZ-S use that same plastic gear.
If you want a reliable Pentax body look elsewhere (to earlier models).

Chris
Hey, Chris, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pentax discover the error of their ways during the production run? It was my understanding that ZX/MX 5ns made after a certain date had metal gears. Inquiring minds want to know...

Best to all,
Kevin

06-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Hey, Chris, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pentax discover the error of their ways during the production run?
It was my understanding that ZX/MX 5ns made after a certain date had metal gears.
Probably true, but AFAIK this data (dates and serial numbers) have never been made available.
So there's really no way to be sure about any particular camera body, short of disassembling it.

Chris
06-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the response. I have a ZX-5n and I really like the images I've had out of it - matrix metering on film is great. However, and I've posted words to this effect before, I'm not in love with shooting the camera; much prefer my ME Super or SuperProgram. Neither body does the OP any good as he was looking for AF.

Best to all,
Kevin