Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Another ME Super Issue...

I've got a ME Super that I had Eric overhaul a couple of years ago. It works perfectly in manual mode but when I move the dial to 'AUTO', nothing changes - it acts like it's still in manual mode (I can still change the shutter speed with the buttons). This is the first time that I've tried AUTO mode on this camera - I usually shoot exclusively in manual.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but it should act like it's in Aperture Priority mode - it should vary the shutter speed with the aperture chosen on the lens, correct? (I've mounted a M40/2.8, an M50/1.4 and a M28/2.8 just to see if the issue was lens related - it isn't.)

What leads me to believe this is my ME-F. It acts like I think it should act - in AUTO it varies the shutter speed with the selected aperture.

I've spun all of the dials (exposure comp / ISO / mode), cursed at it and even made a small sacrifice (the usual chicken blood / hair of a newt kind) to a Norse god - all to no avail.

Surely it can't be time for another CLA, can it?
R

06-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are right - Auto with the ME Super means Aperture Priority. So it is either bad contact (or worn out or broken contacts) beneath the mode wheel, or an electrical line is interrupted. I think these are flexible ones (copper printed on plastic sheets) running on top of the prism to the other side of the body. Could also be this is not well connected anymore with the tiny "motherboard".
06-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Just to note the connections. What separates the M mode from the AUTO mode at dial level is a lever that pushes a small set of contact and turns on the Manual or Automatic part of the circuit. If the lever is damaged, either mode will not work or the contact is bent out of position and AUTO can not be powered up. If at the "Relay Board" (board with 3 fingers up) level, it is possibly that the wires were soldered wrong or shorted out. The solder points are about 2mm apart from each other and so it is possible that an error was made there. If you can have Eric re-look at it?

06-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Mr. Onion! I'll pop it apart and have a peek...

06-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Forgot to include...

Mystery Onion Patch: 03 Yes, more of the ME Super tonight... Relay P. C. and... F volume & ASA volume