Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax KX by-pass surgery

Howdy KX owners,

A KX owner posted here about having bypass surgery performed on their KX film advance lever, removing it from the light meter circuit. I.e., allowing the KX light meter to be enabled with the shutter release button only [like a K2 or LX]. I think the post was in the "Introduce your film ... Pentax" thread. I could not find the original post.

With a KX, to enable the light meter, the shooter has to move the film advance lever out part-way and then also depress the shutter release button half-way down. I had read somewhere here that the film advance lever part of the meter on/off circuit could be bypassed.

Anyone here have any info on how to perform this KX by-pass surgery?
My black KX is with Eric right now getting a new top cover, bottom plate and film door installed, and if possible I would like him to perform this surgery.

Thanks,
--Moe--

Last edited by Moe49; 06-26-2012 at 07:23 AM.
06-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't seen that post... but then I'm thinking Eric of all the people in the world would know whether this is possible and how to do it.
06-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Closed Account

Yeap, that was me who posted this. The reason I wanted to be able to activate the meter by pushing the exposure button, and not by pulling the transport lever: I am a left eye photographer and the (pulled out) transport lever always sticks into my right eye . . .

I think the repairman used an original K2 part that he still had new. I will have to ask for more info and this may take a while as he lives in Prague (I am in The Netherlands) and I have to go through a friend, because of the language . . . But I will be glad to do this.

I also think your Pentax man there, Eric, will know exactly what to do. My KX still works fine that way and it is my favorite Pentax. I use the LX more, but only because I am one of those lazy photographers who likes automatic metering. But between the two it is the KX that is the real gem . . . Let us know what you find out, I will do the same
06-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Yeap, that was me who posted this. The reason I wanted to be able to activate the meter by pushing the exposure button, and not by pulling the transport lever: I am a left eye photographer and the (pulled out) transport lever always sticks into my right eye . . .
Thanks for replying! I enjoy shooting with the KX a great deal, and would enjoy it more if it's film advance lever would quit 'clicking' against my photon amplifiers. One time the lever snagged my glasses and nearly pulled them off my face.

OT: I am giving your black Spotmatic-F a good home. It too will be going to Eric soon.

Speaking of Eric, it is Eric who is asking how to perform the KX by-pass surgery.
I think the repairman used an original K2 part that he still had new. I will have to ask for more info and this may take a while as he lives in Prague (I am in The Netherlands) and I have to go through a friend, because of the language . . . But I will be glad to do this.
Would you please do this? I can then forward the info to Eric. I know he has at least one K2 'parts camera' that I gave him awhile ago.

Last edited by Moe49; 06-26-2012 at 02:06 PM.
06-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MOE49: This is a fascinating idea! My KX was a college graduation present and as such for sentimental reasons I doubt I would ask Eric to modify it. I also shoot left-eye now. My work around is to meter right eye and focus left eye, which works well enough for me. Give that a whirl until Eric does your mod.
06-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Closed Account

My friend in between says: The KX was modified by adding K2 switch part to the shutter button and maybe adjusting the trimmers setup - which means programming of the camera shutter function on the primitive electronics boards. I will ask for more detailed explanation. . .

So, a little patience, as now it becomes about telephone conversations, perhaps meeting in a bar somewhere . . . do you remember this kind of life?

Monochrome, I tried that too. But my right eye and my brain do not follow the thought: they clash and I'd rather not speak of the result, in public . . .
06-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Closed Account

Chris, that I did not know. I thought the wind lever had nothing anymore to do with it all. Now I want to check my KX, but don't have it here where I am now. Somehow your remark makes me think it could be the same for my KX now. That would explain something.

06-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
No, I checked both my KX bodies and you are correct.
Meter cannot be activated unless advance lever is in stand-off (out) position.

Chris
Yes, and that changed with my KX to how the K2 works. But what I had not realised is that the wind lever possibly still plays a role: pulled out = permanent metering / pushed in = short metering. I will check tomorrow, but I have the idea it is exactly what I have seen happening, I just never gave it another thought.
06-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It sounds like a very good idea, though more difficult than I'd have imagined. I'm a left-eye shooter too but so far the sticking-out advance lever on the KX doesn't bother me, though admittedly I haven't used it much yet as it's a recent purchase. It's my high-ISO camera as it goes up to 3200.
06-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monochrome, I tried that too. But my right eye and my brain do not follow the thought: they clash and I'd rather not speak of the result, in public . . .
Since a recent cataract surgery I now have a -2 right eye and a +1.25 left eye (thus rendering my SMC Correction Lens Adapters useless). We should talk about eyes clashing with the brain

I heard last Thursday I need cataract surgery in the left eye also. Perhaps I can order a replacement lens to suit my Pentax accessories.
06-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two questions: Why would one want to use the KX if you have a perfect K2DMD and an MX in the arsenal? And does excessive Pentax expores influence your eye sight? Maybe Richo can come up with some eye optics (of course, sold as Pentax) to make us become true Pentax bionical humans?
06-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Two questions: Why would one want to use the KX if you have a perfect K2DMD and an MX in the arsenal? And does excessive Pentax expores influence your eye sight? Maybe Richo can come up with some eye optics (of course, sold as Pentax) to make us become true Pentax bionical humans?
I have a KX & an MX but I still like my P30 too.
06-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ran a film thur my K2DMD just last week, and the camera functions well. But it is a bit heavy and I agree that the ergonomics are not the best. I really prefer my LX when using film, but I havn't tried to use a Spotmatic yet. Next on the list.
06-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Interestingly though the K2, K2DMD and MX meters only remain on when the shutter release is partially depressed and the wind lever out,
they will meter momentarily (as long as the shutter release is partially depressed) with the wind lever in (stowed position).

Chris
I could finally check the KX in question, the one which had, eh a, hmmm, the change . . .

With the wind lever pulled out it takes one light push of the shutter release to activate the needle. After that, as long as the wind lever is pulled out, it remains activated regardless of yes/no slightly depressing the shutter release. That is contrary to Chris' story quoted which says that, with the three mentioned cameras, the wind lever must be pulled out AND the shutter release partly depressed for the meter to remain active. I guess the KX does that part different than the cameras mentioned.

Then, with the wind lever in it's not pulled out position, my KX needle becomes activated by pushing the shutter release. And it goes off as soon as I stop pressing the shutter release. That's it.

No news yet re how it was done.
06-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the wind lever pulled out it takes one light push of the shutter release to activate the needle. After that, as long as the wind lever is pulled out, it remains activated regardless of yes/no slightly depressing the shutter release.
This is the normal function of the stock KX - you must have the lever pulled out, then the meter stays on after touching the shutter release to turn it on.

The modification allows the meter to act like the MX, where touching the shutter release anytime turns on the meter, but it only latches on with the lever out. I presume on the KX they were concerned that the shutter release might get held down in the camera bag and kill the battery. (Of course the solution is to turn the shutter lock on to prevent that.)

I need to pull the top cover on my KX to clean the viewfinder over the focusing screen, so I'll try to document how the meter switches work, and how to modify. (But with my schedule that may take a while...)