Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Chinon CP-5 Help!

I recently recieved a CP-5 from ebay, and after cleaning out the battery compartment of all the corrision (you wouldn't believe how much was in there...) I got the camera going. After a few test cock-compose-trip shutter (no film in camera), it cocked the shutter, and then wouldn't trip.

However, when I kill the power to the camera, and then re-insert the batteries, I get the viewfinder to light up (pushing the shutter release halfway), but when I fully depress the shutter release, the shutter doesn't rip, and the viewfinder shuts off. What's more interesting is when I set the self timer, it times down, and then nothing happens. I know the shutter is stuck in the cocked position, but nothing I do releases the shutter. Heck, I've even gotten the baseplate off, and was able to pull the winder through the mechanical guts, but the shutter refuese to release.

Now, there is a circuit board that's accessable to me by taking off the baseplate, and there's some wires leading to the electromagnets for the shutter. Is it possible for me to basically "short" the shutter so the curtians go back to their normal position?

Edit: I know this isn't exactly a Pentax film camera, but it does use the K-mount, so if this thread is in the wrong place, I apologize.

01-24-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't help, but you may wish to try the Classic Camera Repair Forum.
01-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update to my camera adventure!

Seller responded, and offered to take it back, so I mailed it back. When he receives the camera in about 6-10 days, I'll get my money back.

Luckly I managed to snag a whole CP-5 kit (camera, carrying case, bag, film, flash and at least one lens, but no autofocus lens) for about the same overall price.

Thanks for trying to help!