Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

Expired film fog (Massive newbie)

So I just got my first film slr (k1000) and before i went out to buy some film i found some kodak 400 film in my dads glove box to his car. the film had expired in 2008. obviously being kept in the glove box to the car it would have copped some massive changes in temperatures from super high to low but i thought i would give it a go anyway. When i got the film developed some photos turned out okay while others are extremely grainy and foggy. My thoughts are that of course it is the expired film which caused this but I just need to ask am i doing something wrong? why would some photos turn out 'okay' while others terrible. Bellow are some examples! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Too Foggy
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  64.9 KB
Too Foggy
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  68.5 KB
Happy with this (even though a bit foggy)
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  80.0 KB
Happy with this
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  64.5 KB

Last edited by powellyy; 06-28-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: more clearer
06-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
What adds to the foggy look is being very under exposed. So I could be that some of you shots might not have been exposed correction or due to poor lighting.
To check that, look at the negative for the first image you included. Is the negative very washed out looking? I would assume that the good and bad are almost random dotted along the total count of images processed?

...so in other words... If we didn't try to over process the image and pull from it what we didn't have, the image will be darker and the colors much flatter. That is because the original image shot for underexposed. I've processed very old film after leaving it around for years and the usually thing is the colors or off... as in red is sort of orange or green is sort of blue. However, much of it can be tweaked by the likes of GIMP or Photoshop. Hope this helped.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 06-29-2012 at 02:06 AM.
06-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
I appreciate the help mate! Very interesting that I have been under exposing some shots. Thinking about it though they have been in fairly low light environments even though I thought the light meter was balanced. I guess I’ll just have to see when my new (in date) film is developed. I may just have to over expose some shots indoors to compensate for my average photography skills and understanding! I have a flash coming in the mail which should help in these low light scenarios. Thanks again
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

It is very possible that the meter might get fooled by a stray bright source of light and not give you the correct balance for the entire shot. Also, double check the meter by aiming it at a static object and cycle through all the settings to be sure the controls are delivering a steady adjustment of voltage to the meter. Much like how volume controls on an old stereo get scratchy, the aperture and shutter speed electrical brushes can send unclear signals to the meter.

06-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
It is very possible that the meter might get fooled by a stray bright source of light and not give you the correct balance for the entire shot. Also, double check the meter by aiming it at a static object and cycle through all the settings to be sure the controls are delivering a steady adjustment of voltage to the meter. Much like how volume controls on an old stereo get scratchy, the aperture and shutter speed electrical brushes can send unclear signals to the meter.
i just set up the exact scene as the two under exposed photos and i definitely agree with what you said. I can't be 100% sure but my guess is i shot the photo in f2 1/60 or an even higher shutter speed which according to the EV chart and my k10d would have under exposed a lot. When changing it to f2 1/30 on the k1000 the light meter shows just slightly over exposed and the k10 shows perfect. In my amateurness, i must of just not paid close attention to the underexposed light meter or as you said it may have been tricked by a stray light source. i really appreciate your advice mate
06-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

If you were making an exposure indoors with no windows or enough light from the window and the indoor lighting was the output of 75 watts and a 25 by18 foot room on 400 ASA/ISO film, you can safely say the exposure at f2.0 will be 1/25... however the film being a little heat-beaten and expired means a loss of speed and so I personally would dial it to 200 ASA/ISO rather than 400.