Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Honeywell ES or Honeywell SP II ?

Which one would you keep? Same condition. I already have a SP F and several lenses. Thanks

07-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my ES although mine does not have the word honeywell on it. I think at the time it must have been an outstanding camera. The SPII wouldn't stand a chance. I can't really get rid of my SP F as it was my engagement present.

ES for me SP II doesn't get a look in.
07-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ES is awesome, but isn't that model notorious for electrical failure (quickly predicating Pentax to introduce the ES II ?)

So for long-term usability I'd keep the SPII.
07-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
The ES is awesome, but isn't that model notorious for electrical failure (quickly predicating Pentax to introduce the ES II ?)

+1
Cheers, Pickles.

07-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The ES is awesome, but isn't that model notorious for electrical failure
Don't tell my ES it has never skipped a beat. Even if it does have electronic problems you can still operate at most speeds without any electronics.

I think after 40 years you might tell if it is reliable.
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

No, you are thinking of the actual Electro Spotmatic that had that spelled out on the body. They were sold as sort of one of, prototypes mostly in Japan which is why you won't find one with Honeywell on it. The ES and ES II however can be CLA and some repairs done.

This is the ES (yes, the chrome ones do exist ) and this is actually mine.

This is the Electro Spotmatic with the one of a kind boards.

In a nutshell, there are actually 3 models.

Electro Spotmatic
ES
ES II

07-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mine is just like yours. Chrome ES. Is it worth having a CLA done on it? As clean as or cleaner than yours. Thanks for the info...

07-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Oh, thanks for the clarification! I have avoided buying ES models when I see then, thinking that was the "protypish" Electro Spotmatic. Might have to reconsider adding one to go with the SP F, SP II and SP 1000...
07-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by durr3 Quote
Mine is just like yours. Chrome ES. Is it worth having a CLA done on it? As clean as or cleaner than yours. Thanks for the info...
The chrome ES is more rare than the chrome ES II. Black was standard for those 2 models and chrome was special order. That was the opposite of other m42 bodies. Even Gerjan van Oosten wasn't aware of the chrome ES when he wrote The Asahi Pentax Screwmount Guide.
07-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

so back to the original question: depends on your priorities. Max financial return - the chrome ES is about as collectible as Pentax gets and should bring a good price. However, should you ever grow nostalgic for it and want a replacement, you'll have to hunt a long while and pay good money. And it may not be in as good shape as yours is.

The SP II won't bring you a lot of money, but then it is easily replaced when you grow nostalgic

I would keep the ES and send it to Eric, and enjoy it for a long long time. Unless I was hard up for cash for film, I don't think the hassle of selling the SP II is worth the money, so I'd keep it also

(spoken like a true camera accumulator...)
07-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am glad you said that....I have an almost mint SPF with a SMC 50/1.4 and six M42 lenses. I guess one more SP won't hurt. Now how do I get in touch with Eric? Does he CLA? thanks
07-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
+1
Cheers, Pickles.
+2 SPII's work practically forever....