Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Did they run your B&W film through a C-41 machine? Unlikely but possible, just wanted to throw that possibility out there
That was my immediate thought reading this. When I first got back into film in '08 I took a roll of Neopan in to Walgreens.

I spent 10 minutes talking to the counter 'tech' about whether they could do B&W or not. He insisted they could so I left it with them. Came back an hour later and he handed me a perfectly clear roll of plastic.

Luckily, it was just a test roll so nothing important lost. And 2 weeks I was processing my own film.

07-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In regards to home processing without a darkroom...

I use my laundry room for loading the tanks (no windows), but for those of you who are window rich, relief is available in the form of a changing bag. A basic model will provide years of service for a moderate investment. The nicer ones are made of breathable fabric, but cost a lot more.

Steve
07-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
It all points to one direction: learn how to develop your own film!!
I got my tank and found a possible teacher now for the chemicals
07-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #34
Pentaxian

What made me stop doing B&W myself is the time. Sure it is satisfying to a degree, but doing negatives only is an industrial process really, not like doing prints. Add to that the scan time and for me, it is just simpler to have a quality shop do the processing. I may revisit this again and again, but for the moment, I'll stay with a lab

07-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What made me stop doing B&W myself is the time. Sure it is satisfying to a degree, but doing negatives only is an industrial process really, not like doing prints. Add to that the scan time and for me, it is just simpler to have a quality shop do the processing. I may revisit this again and again, but for the moment, I'll stay with a lab
Yeah that’s the way I feel, I have a lab I use that does my B&W 135/120 processing and med res scans for around $15.00 CDN including tax. For that price I’m way too lazy to do my own processing/scanning.

Phil.
07-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah that’s the way I feel, I have a lab I use that does my B&W 135/120 processing and med res scans for around $15.00 CDN including tax. For that price I’m way too lazy to do my own processing/scanning.

Phil.
Yes, I really do see the point of that.

But for me it is about something else: when I develop myself I get a result that I have worked with for more than 35 years now. I never changed anything, same developer and same method. That means a lot when you do your own prints. I have had my film developed when I worked abroad, Australia, the US, Italy and always using prolabs. I am still unhappy about some of the results.

And, it is still about the magic of looking at the images when the film is still wet, about being able to develop at any moment, about cutting the film and looking at images with the loupe . . .
07-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Yeah thatís the way I feel, I have a lab I use that does my B&W 135/120 processing and med res scans for around $15.00 CDN including tax. For that price Iím way too lazy to do my own processing/scanning.

Phil.
I'm looking at setting up a copy rig, for some 120 and 4x5 negatives that have filtered down through the family (most are 50-75 years old)

I am thinking to have a pair of fingers to frame 2 of the edges against a ground/etched glass backing, with a mount for a camera and 50mm Macro. I think the resolution of my K5 will surpass the resolution of the negatives by quite a bit, considering the 120 negs are from a Kodak #3 folding camera (which I still have)
07-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Who/ where is this, if local to the GTA?
there are a few, the one i mentioned is on River st just north of queen. his hours are erratic though and he's a cranky bugger. Toronto Black and White , I haven't used them since i started doing my own again though.

http://www.torontoblackandwhite.com/

My issues were at imageworks on spadina, but to be fair they have almost always done a superior job they just screwed up on the IR i took in (which should really have gone to River st)

07-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Thanks Eddie and Lowell...
07-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
That was my immediate thought reading this. When I first got back into film in '08 I took a roll of Neopan in to Walgreens.

I spent 10 minutes talking to the counter 'tech' about whether they could do B&W or not. He insisted they could so I left it with them. Came back an hour later and he handed me a perfectly clear roll of plastic.

Luckily, it was just a test roll so nothing important lost. And 2 weeks I was processing my own film.
From now on I'm going to pay special attention to whom I hand my Neopan over and who gets the c41 b&w, at least until I get to developing them on my own

Oh and thanks Eddie and Steve for the changing bag tip, that will come quite useful.
07-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #41
Site Supporter

I have a lab I use that does my B&W 135/120 processing and med res scans for around $15.00 CDN including tax
i don't have a lab that does anything other that C-41 near So I would like to learn myself.
07-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Yes, I really do see the point of that.

But for me it is about something else: when I develop myself I get a result that I have worked with for more than 35 years now. I never changed anything, same developer and same method. That means a lot when you do your own prints. I have had my film developed when I worked abroad, Australia, the US, Italy and always using prolabs. I am still unhappy about some of the results.

And, it is still about the magic of looking at the images when the film is still wet, about being able to develop at any moment, about cutting the film and looking at images with the loupe . . .
If I had the room I may be more inclined to do my own b&w developing, unfortunately I’ve lived in apartments most of my life. I also shot Kodachrome exclusively during the 1970’s – 1990’s, so your only choice was a Kodak processing lab somewhere across the world.

There is an Art school a few minutes from where I live and they have an incredible darkroom. I used it when I took a course a few years ago and it has everything, including a dry Kreonite printer. It would be a dream to pay for a half day usage now and then, but they won’t do that.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 07-15-2012 at 08:14 AM.
07-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #43
Site Supporter

There is an Art school a few minutes from where I live and they have an incredible darkroom. I used it when I took a course a few years ago and it has everything, including a dry Kreonite printer. It would be a dream to pay for a half day usage now and then, but they won’t do that.
Phil...I don't know what part of town you are in, but there used to be a darkroom rental business in the lower mainland. I remember a thread a couple of years back where this was discussed.

Steve