Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Treker Quote
I'm not aware of any 100 speed b&w c41 film. If they ran traditional b&w film through c41 chems you would get a completely blank film. I believe the bleach step removes the silver image from the film.
Hah, yeah. Actually I was talking to the lab guy when handing the film over and we came to the topic of b/w film and ISO. He claimed that ISO 100 doesn't exist, it's all 125 or higher, at which point I pointed at the film roll I had just given him and said "...but, that's ISO 100". And his reply was "Oh, but that's fuji". I suppose I should have left the place at that point

The film was Neopan 100 Acros.

07-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What happens if I cross process black and white film? - Yahoo! Answers

Did they run your B&W film through a C-41 machine? Unlikely but possible, just wanted to throw that possibility out there
07-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Treker Quote
I'm not aware of any 100 speed b&w c41 film. If they ran traditional b&w film through c41 chems you would get a completely blank film. I believe the bleach step removes the silver image from the film.
This was my guess they processed b/w as colour. Clueless twits

Many places don't process true b/w just the C41, so give it to a kid who only knows about the machine and he will blindly ruin the film. I do my own now, but If i want to do b/w I take it to a lab that is capable (except for IR apparently) In faact we have one lab that only does b/w and only wet prints that b/w. He's a true artist, and well worth using for Fine Art work (Pricey though)
07-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
What happens if I cross process black and white film? - Yahoo! Answers

Did they run your B&W film through a C-41 machine? Unlikely but possible, just wanted to throw that possibility out there
Even better the clueless fool likely has ruined a number of films thanks to doing it as well

QuoteQuote:
If you attempt to process black and white film at 100 degrees, at the very minimum you'll get reticulation, which is where the emulsion pulls away from the base in places. What will probably happen, though, is that the emulsion will completely fall off. In a machine processor, this means that all the chemicals get fouled up, necessitating a total flush and refill. In all likelihood, too, before the problem is discovered, it will manage to foul up several other rolls of film.

07-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
I'm slowly starting to think that's exactly what happened. Considering that they only sold C-41 b/w film themselves and dismissed the existence of ISO100 b/w...

Would at least explain why the film roll had absolutely no markings on it at all and was see-through, pretty much clear as sky.
07-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ergates Quote
I'm slowly starting to think that's exactly what happened. Considering that they only sold C-41 b/w film themselves and dismissed the existence of ISO100 b/w...

Would at least explain why the film roll had absolutely no markings on it at all and was see-through, pretty much clear as sky.
You are right you should have run when they disputed the existence of 100 iso - I imagine the 25iso stuff would have really confused them

That being said you should try doing your own it really is quite simple to develop B/W at home, and it opens up a huge range of possibilities on how film performs based on the developing method. getting started including chemicals and equipment should cost $50-75 or even less. used gear is easy to come by
07-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
Closed Account

It all points to one direction: learn how to develop your own film!! We can bitch about this lab until the sky is green, but it serves no purpose.

When you develop your own film, it is cheaper, better and more fun. Plus you support an industry that obviously needs it.

Just find someone near you to teach it to you. You need a person with experience, not the net with one thousand ways to do it.

07-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
That being said you should try doing your own it really is quite simple to develop B/W at home, and it opens up a huge range of possibilities on how film performs based on the developing method.
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
It all points to one direction: learn how to develop your own film!!
I'm already on it been planning it ever since I got my hands on a couple of 70's cameras, this Spotmatic F included.

My only issue at the moment is that there isn't a single room in this house that wouldn't have a window in it. Even the basement and the bathrooms have windows, so need to get that taken care of first. After that...well, that's when the fun starts
07-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Closed Account

Most film tanks will allow you to develop with the lights on. It is just about the moment when you load the film on the reel. I loaded my tanks in my toilet for years, ha. No more excuses . . .
07-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #25

Original Poster
Our toilet has windows too

I suppose some heavy black curtain solution + doing it in the night might do the trick.
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I suppose some heavy black curtain solution + doing it in the night might do the trick.
@ options, get a large changing bag to load the film, or just get in a closet and seal the bottom with a towel. If you practice rolling onto the reel with a scrap film (the blank would have been ideal) you won't need much time to do it.
All tanks AFAIK are for daylight processing (I've never used one that wasn't and I started on old gear at school in 1973)
07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And this was a "pro" lab? Denying the existence of ASA 100 film, taking a factory cassette labelled with film maker and speed, and running BW through a C-41 line. And then getting snarky when you wonder why your film is blank? What a bunch of clueless dolts!

Reminds me of the time I accidentally included a cassette of E-6 with several C-41s. The jerk running the mini-lab ran the E-6 through, ruined it, and then argued about giving me a replacement cassette! He said "You might have ruined our chemistry!" Since the lab was owned by the same nasty folk who owned the local paper and radio station I didn't push the issue, but never went back.
07-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can make a slide in plug with foam at the edges to hold it in place, and if you take the edges of the plug over the opening, and also line the edges with foam, light h to go around corners and through the foam, It worked well in my laundry

For the door, just a thick black draft stop bean bag and turn the lights off in the outside hall
07-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
In faact we have one lab that only does b/w and only wet prints that b/w. He's a true artist, and well worth using for Fine Art work (Pricey though)
Who/ where is this, if local to the GTA?
07-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Who/ where is this, if local to the GTA?
Not sure who Eddie uses, but for B&W you can get it processed thrugh Henry's downtown store only, or Downtown camera on queen street.

I use downtown camera to process as per my instructions (my last roll was 400 ISO pushed to 3200) and then scanned they plrovided a CD with the scans, plus a contact print card as well ass returned the film