Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

MZ-50 & Sigma Lens Value

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi - new to the forum. I'm clearing out some unused stuff from my house and have a Pentax MZ-50 with the original 28-80 mm F3.5-5.6 lens and a Sigma 28-300 mm F3.5-6.3 lens with polarized filter. Just curious what, if any, value these have, if there's a market for them, and if it's better to sell as a package or separately. Picture is attached. I'm in Toronto, Ontario if that matters.
Thanks.
Jonathan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G7  Photo 
07-19-2012, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, Jonathan.

If you don't know yet, all Pentax DSLR camera will work with these lenses, in case you are in the market for buying a DSLR and were interested in the possibility of being able to use your existing lenses.
If you look on Ebay or wherever, camera bodies really don't bring in that much money unless they are very old/rare/special, which doesn't hold true for the MZ-50, as it is a fairly common camera. If you do decide to sell it, make sure you check that the mirror works and doesn't get stuck- that is a common problem with these cameras that happens over time.
The 28-80mm lens doesn't really ring much either because it is fairly common ----> SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I'm not very familiar with the Sigma, but here it is in the lens database ----> Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro (AF Lens) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Looks like the average price paid was about $240. A quick Ebay search yields some results ---> sigma 28-300 pentax | eBay

If I were you, I would keep the MZ-50 and 28-80mm lens together and then see how much you can get for the Sigma separately.

You could list them on Ebay (make sure you have good pictures of the items, a good description, and a reserve price just in case), but the seller fees are avoidable if you decide to sell them here in the Marketplace- to get access to it, all you have to do is donate at least $10 to Pentax Forums.

Here's some info on the Marketplace here on the site, if you're interested:
---> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/137-read-firs...ack-guide.html
---> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Value is difficult to determine. I would suggest following a few eBay auctions, though can I offer with a fair degree of certainty, that the value of your kit is probably fairly moderate with condition being a factor for saleability rather than value. In my market (Portland, Oregon), I would expect that the camera with the Pentax zoom would be worth less than $80 USD if in good to excellent condition with new seals. Subtract about $40 USD if the seals are toast. The Sigma zoom (not a DG model BTW) would be worth less that $50 USD.

I would also caution against making an initial post to this site as a thinly-veiled offer to sell. It is against forum rules to post an ad outside the Marketplace. Access to the marketplace is based on a pattern of consistent forum activity or on a monetary donation.

Steve
07-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I can assure you that i wasn't trying to sell it here, as i figured anybody posting on this forum would have zero interest in it. Just genuinely wanted to know about value and figured the people here would know best.