Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

ME Super and K1000 exposure meter

Does anyone know if the ME Super and the K1000 meters have the same % coverage? I'm assuming that they are both centre weighted meters.

07-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The database here identifies both as "C" when in fact the manual list the K1000 as full area averaging and the ME Super as center weighted.
07-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The database here identifies both as "C" when in fact the manual list the K1000 as full area averaging and the ME Super as center weighted.
Thanks Les. I was trying to figure out why the ME Super tends to underexpose by about one stop compared to the K1000. I've also just thrown my Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 3 and my old but recently refurbed Weston V light meter into the mix and they seem to be agreeing with the K1000.

I'm not complaining though. I tend to use the ME Super at night in low light and it means that Neopan 1600 is pushed to 3200, overcoming the ME Super's max ISO limitation.
07-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K1000 is spec'd as having a full-area averaging meter the same as most (all?) versions of the Spotmatic, though both are often cited as having center-weighted meters. This may be due to the fact that most full-area meters of the day were biased somewhat toward the center with about 1/2 stop difference between the center and the corners.

Interestingly, back in the day before matrix metering the meter sensitivity pattern was part of the camera test suite that the magazines used and was often displayed as a graphic in the review. Most center-weighted meters were biased to provide greater sensitivity to the middle and broadened toward the bottom of the frame (less sensitive to the sky when in landscape orientation). Because of the variation in metering pattern, it is usually best to do meter accuracy testing against a uniformly lit blank surface.

It is possible to get a notion of meter sensitivity pattern if you have a pinpoint light source and a dim room. Have an assistant move the light around the frame while you monitor the meter response.

Steve

07-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I found when shooting Kodachrome 64 that bright skies always resulted in under-exposed slides so I always dipped the camera to exclude the majority of the sky and set the exposure from there. Always worked for me... K.