Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #31

I have no idea why I said MZ-3 when I own an MZ-6! Which does have Tv, AV and M, in camera aperture control too, which is useful.

08-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I think the MZ-5n or other "higher end" MZ/ZX model would fit your needs. If you're okay with a pentamirror (not prism) like in the K-x, the more recent lesser MX series would also be good. As for the older AF ones, I found a PZ-1p for peanuts and it is really nice (and fast!), but doesn't meet all your needs (no real Mode Dial). Film cameras are cheap and plentiful these days...
What Steve said! As a result, I went with an MZ-3 since it has one of the better vf of the MZ series and only the MZ-s has a faster shutter but they are hard to come by since they weren't sold in the U.S. The MZ-L and MZ-5n have some nice features. The PZ-1p may be the best af body though. I consider the MZ-3 as less of a compromise than the *ist. It isn't going to allow control of the aperture in Aperture priority with the DA lenses though. The PZ-1p will be one of the better choices for that as are the MZ-L and 5n.

Last edited by Blue; 08-30-2012 at 05:45 AM.
08-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, I think it was expanded, rather than hijacked, because the subject of the (digital control) film *ist and its digital sensor twin, the *istD, had already been broached. Having had a long relationship with a *istD (always thought it was an odd name, with or without the "D"), I'd be interested to see how well the film version worked. Sadly, as someone here pointed out, they seem to be practically unobtainium, which is a pity, as they would have to be candidates for proving their status in respect of the OP's original question.
I'm also looking for a *ist 35mm camera and I've seen a few on ebay, but missed my opportunity bidding on one for a great deal just last week. Searching through these forums I found a couple threads in the wanted section of the marketplace where members acquired the *ist, so you might try that route.

The question of which film bodies can control aperture gets asked quite often, so I put together this list in another discussion: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/154087-apertur...ml#post1958392

I also thought the *ist name was quite odd until it was explained to me. I read Pentax put the * in front of ist so you can replace it with what ever name you wanted to describe yourself as, for example elitist, adventurist, photography activist, hobbyist, ect. Now I kind of like the name.