Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #1

Which AF cameras have mirror pre-flip on timer.

Which AF film cameras have mirror pre-flip when on timer ??

This info is not in the database, so thought you guys might know.
I think the PZ1 and MZ-S have that feature, but what others ??

Thanks

07-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just reviewed my manual but I don't believe the PZ-1p has a mirror lock up feature.
07-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Not MLU, I mean mirror pre-flip on timer.

IE set timer and a second or two before the shutter goes off the mirror flips up.
07-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, it does the 2 second timer. I did not see in the manual where it indicated whether the mirror flips up with that so...I guess I don't know.

07-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

The ZX-60 has MLU that is accessed using the 2 sec timer. I had a ZX-60 for a while and it's an OK body, if you shoot action it's not your camera. The advance rate is only 1 frame per second and the interface is menu driven so making quick changes can be challenging. I hated the interface and ergonomics, I prefer dials and wheels. If you shoot things that don't move it would be ok.
07-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Now I am actually looking for a couple of different camera bodies.
Think one will be a K2 manual camera and it has MLU, long exposure, match needle.

Part of that is for 2 second IR photography, but I am really trying to get a rangefinder going for that.
Easier framing etc.

The other I really need 1/8000 speed so a PZ-1 is about the only thing reasonable.
It supposedly has mirror pre-flip when on timer.
07-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #7

A rangefinder or a TLR are really handy for IR, I use both. Before that is was my SuperProgram, the shutter speeds are electronicly timed and it goes as slow as 15 seconds. Which can be necessary if you're shooting IR in less than full sun (shade, evening, etc). If you're really wanting to get into IR, I'd recommend eventually trying it in medium format, the larger format does wonders for the grain and image quality. I use Efke 820IR, I don't use the Aura because in my opinion it's too over the top.

Also, I just checked my PZ-1p, even though the manual doesn't mention anything about MLU or "pre-flip" when using the 2 second timer I grabbed mine and checked and yes it does flip-up the mirror and holds it up for a second or two before the shutter fires.

Last edited by average-guy; 07-25-2012 at 08:46 AM.
07-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
I am going to try a Contax TVS II next.

Want a 28mm lens and I want it sharp.
I have owned one previously and they are good little cameras and sharp and tiny.

A few years ago a 30.5mm IR filter was nowhere to be found, but since then China has come to the rescue.

They have 15 second exposure and I think I have figured out how to use one for IR.
Will test it this week and if that does not work out will probably go to a Contax G1 + 28mm lens or a Hexar AF.

The Hexar AF can be adjusted to focus on IR which is nice.
Also has a remote and all the bells and whistles, 35mm lens though, but it is a top shelf camera.
Actually I just found out it is the only rangefinder camera with autowind that will work for IR that has a remote.