Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Will this M42 adapter screw up my K1000?

Hello all,

I recently bought what was advertised as a genuine Pentax K to M42 adapter to mount my M42 Russian lenses on my Pentax K1000. However, when the adapter arrived it was obvious that it was missing the spring described in this instruction sheet:

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxScrew...nsAdapter.html

Please check attached photos to see what the adapter I received looks like. I've never seen a genuine adapter before but to my untrained eye it looks as if someone has forcibly removed the spring with a pair of pliers as there is a ragged edge where I assume the spring would be. If this is the case, can someone confirm whether this adapter would be safe to use, and second, would I be able to remove it once inserted? (I'm too scared of damaging my precious and well-loved camera and lenses).

From what I've read on this thread it appears that some people on this forum remove the spring clip so that they can mount the adapter directly on the lens rather than on the camera body.
QuoteQuote:
Steinback: I have 3 of these genuine Pentax adaptors. One has the spring clip on it for days when I'm only shooting with M42 lenses, and I've removed the clips on the other 2 so that I can leave the adaptor on a lens and mount/dismount the lens as though it had a regular K mount. One of my M42 lenses is wide enough that I've drilled a small hole in the base to engage the K mount locking pin. The rest are too narrow to use the locking pin on the body and I rely on friction between the body and the mount to keep them in place.
I've no intention of drilling a hole into any of my lenses. My question is: is this adapter safe to use on my K1000? Will the lens stay put without the spring clip holding it in place? Will I have to mount the adapter on the lens or on the body, and how will I remove the adapter without the aid of the spring clip?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix F40fd  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix F40fd  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix F40fd  Photo 
07-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The adapter is as safe as can be. The retention clip is (was) there just to keep the ring on the body mount. Now it will come off with the lens. It looks just like mine, so I assume it is original, but it is indeed lacking the spring. If you paid the full price for the original adapter, I would certainly return it. It will work, but not as it's supposed to.
The way it works is you screw it on your M42 lens, basically converting into a K-mount. You don't have to drill any hole unless you want to have your lens rock solid on the camera, as native K-mounts stay.
07-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for a most helpful reply! On the strength of what you wrote, I mounted the adapter on the lens and then the lens on camera. The fit seems good enough that the lens won't suddenly fall off while I'm carrying the camera out and about but my Russian M42 lenses have rather stiff focus rings so extra care is needed not to accidentally dismount the lens from the body while focusing. I paid 17.00 plus post & postage for this adapter. I think if I'd known that the spring was missing, I would have gone with the srb adapter which I've seen recommended in various forums.