Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
neither of these will cover the ff image, but as pointed out you could assemble a pretty good manual focus kit for not a lot of money,
M 28 f3.5
m50 f1.7
m100 2.8 or the f4 macro
m or k 135 3.5
m200 f4

look for a KM body , it's the step up from the K1000 and sells for less (excellent camera

the big plus is all these will work with your K5 and give great results with some practice (manual focusing takes some getting used to for most people who didn't start that way)

I have a number of these items for sale on my local CL I'll PM you with an offer if you like (I'm focusing on m42 for my manual lenses )
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Yes, please do. I'd be interested in that. ^_^

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

07-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

You can also check out the Buy/Sell section here. I have a MX body for sale, and there are other members that have film cameras listed. My MX is a black bodied one, so that raises its price somewhat, but it just had a CLA from the best Pentax tech in North America. PM me if you're interested.
07-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what do you really plan to do, following the film class. A lot of schools still use a K1000 and a 50mm lens, and these are still relitively available, but if you want to use your existing gear, even within the limits of the coverage of some of your DA lenses meant for digital, then you need at least an A series body, to control the aperture, but I would go all out and get a PZ1 pr PZ1p. they are a great camera, and can use every lens ever made, except those with HSM lenses.

many of your DA zooms lenses will cover a full frame from about 30% above minimum focal length and there is a thread that shows the coverage of many DA lenses on film, if you want to know how the primes behave
07-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what do you really plan to do, following the film class. A lot of schools still use a K1000 and a 50mm lens, and these are still relitively available, but if you want to use your existing gear, even within the limits of the coverage of some of your DA lenses meant for digital, then you need at least an A series body, to control the aperture, but I would go all out and get a PZ1 pr PZ1p. they are a great camera, and can use every lens ever made, except those with HSM lenses.

many of your DA zooms lenses will cover a full frame from about 30% above minimum focal length and there is a thread that shows the coverage of many DA lenses on film, if you want to know how the primes behave
Well, I figure if I am learning film and buying equipment, I think I'd like to be able to use it after I finish my education.

07-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #20

KEH has a Pentax K100 with 50/2 SMC M for around $125....great learning tool
They ME Super w 50/2 for much less
07-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
Closed Account

What you should consider is to first get an idea about the different cameras. Like in other posts, I also think a basic mechnical camera is the tool that will make you understand the basics. But after that it is important to understand KX or K1000, or KM are rather large and heavier, than MX for instance. One is not better than the other, it will come down to personal taste in the end. When one begins it is nice to spend as little as possible. Go into some stores and check them out. Borrow a camera if you can . . .
07-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

MX is probably the second best MF camera right behind the LX. It's also much pricier than the Km/Kx/K1000

07-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
First ask the instructor for equipment recommendations and suggestions, the teacher is the person you need to please. If you purchase a film camera there is the possibility it will need a CLA (clean,lubrication,adjustment) and that will take 2 weeks - 2 months. Search for old established camera stores, they are the ones with good used equipment and rich with knowledge.
Good Luck
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
First ask the instructor for equipment recommendations and suggestions, the teacher is the person you need to please. If you purchase a film camera there is the possibility it will need a CLA (clean,lubrication,adjustment) and that will take 2 weeks - 2 months. Search for old established camera stores, they are the ones with good used equipment and rich with knowledge.
Good Luck
Good advice but I would suggest you ask what control and metering features he wants, because he may not recommend a pentax camera. if you restrict his requirements to control features only, you can then buy what you want to suit your desire to continue shooting film, but using your modern lenses as well

There was a post quite some years ago, where the instructor wanted the student to purchase a specific body, largely because he did not know other bodies himself, and didn't want to spend the time/effort to help the student translate his instructions from nikon speak to canon speak or pentax speak
07-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
...then you need at least an A series body...
Assuming, of course, that such a body meets the course requirements. Most teachers want the student to have a camera that supports fully metered manual and preferably one that does not have auto exposure or auto focus.

Steve
07-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

For a trouble free, cheap MF camera, try the P30. No old foam light seals to worry about replacing, as is often the case with the older classic bodies unless you're careful to buy a recently serviced one. Nice viewfinder if not quite up to MX standards. If you want to be forward compatible with current DA lenses, PZ1, PZ20, PZ70, MZ60 or MZ70 are nice options which operate much like a DSLR, but have all the manual modes too.
07-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get a refurbished K1000 with an A50mm 1.7 (F2 is fine if that's whats on it already). You don't need the A series lens, but it will also work correctly on the K5 which makes it a much better investment. Make sure the camera has the AOCO logo on the top front, otherwise it's the plastic gutted Chinese one which you do not want to bother with.
07-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JessicaSideways Quote
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but i am very curious to know why you prefix and suffix your posts with these statements.
07-27-2012, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I hope you don't mind me asking, but i am very curious to know why you prefix and suffix your posts with these statements.
Thelema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia