Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #1

K1000 firing pin problem

Hello all.

Recently picked up a K1000 from a secondhand store for just $20Nzd (with 50mm f2!). Did a test roll and everything was fine. Got prepared to do some night long exposure only to find that it wouldn't fire the shutter. Anyway after taking off the top following the service manual it seems the cable release pin was simply stuck, which was rectified with pliers and a heart turn. Now a couple of questions: could there any other factors, like a stray piece of machinery stuck in the camera somewhere? And for when I reassemble and put the cable release pin back, should I clean it with lighter fluid and put it back dry or use some silicon grease to keep it lubed?

Sorry if this should be in a different forum. First time poster but have gained a lot of useful info from browsing this forum!
Cheers
Greg

07-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
If the ability of a release cable is in question only, then it is just that post is the question. If the shutter button is also poorly functioning, then the problem will extend from post-release bar-the rod under the reaches the button- the bar that is attached to the tripping arm to the mirror as well as the other side of the release bar to the first curtain release. Lube the little post that inside the release button, but I would not recommend dropping grease anywhere else. Dry lube should be an ultra fine type... still you should discover if a bent or maladjusted rod (release shaft) is to blame. If you are working from the "National Repair Manual", do look around page 45 to 49 for examples.
07-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks MysterOnion. Have determined from your post everything else is fine; the problem was just with the pin.

But a new problem has risen out of my ineptitude - I shut the back cover with the top off. I don't know how to perform the action that opens it normally when you use the rewind knob. What do I need to do to get the back open again?

Cheers
07-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

While the top shell is off... and from memory right now.

Look for a spring like bar that is under the circuit board. It has contact with the edge of the camera body where the latch is located and you should be able to slip a driver under the spring/bar/leaf and lift up to raise the latch to open the door.

I can furnish a picture later unless someone else uploads one here first.

07-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a parts k1000 here, but assuming it's like a Spotmatic, I think MysteryOnion is referring to the bar shown with the red arrow. Lift or pry that up, and the door pops open.

07-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
So simple! Thank you MysteryOnion & Sluggo. Now to put it all back together...
08-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
Giveaway winner!

Thanks Sluggo, I knew someone would have a chance to drop a snap in for geg_thomas.
08-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
Everything's back together and working smoothly. Thanks again.