Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #1

Petition to save Velvia 50

Hi,

Slightly off topic but there is now an online petition to save Velvia 50 which Fujifilm announced they will stop producing in certain formats (initially 4x5 and 8x10). The news was announced in the BJP: Fujifilm discontinues two professional films [update] - British Journal of Photography

The petition now has over 1,000 signatures including some high profile photographers such as Joe Cornish. The petition can be signed here: Change.org

Cheers
Rick

08-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
I really wish I did more large format work. It's also unfortunate that it is only a matter of time before this one hits to medium format as well.

Even though I have three medium format systems; a majority of my clients still prefer film. I also still spend endless hours wandering aimlessly in my darkroom

Edited/added...

I'm also even going to be adding a new fridge specifically to stock up on items such as this
08-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably the best thing that people can do is to actually buy the film.

Steve
08-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yep, obviously the best way to show Fuji you care is to continue to buy the film but I think it adds extra weight with a petition. There will always be nay-sayers/doom-mongers who believe these things never work... but they are probably the same folk who wonder why they never win the lottery even though they never bought a ticket :-)

The petition has reached it's initial target of 1,000 signatures and now has a new target of 1,500... currently they are at 1,162...

Cheers
Rick

08-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #5

I just shot Velvia for the first time in a year or so. I have ever so much difficulty exposing it properly. I think the problem is that I need to either shoot it constantly (put in my 10,000 hours, if you will) or give up. The learning curve is such that "viisting" Velvia annually does not work.

Anyway, I wonder whether it works to support the product by buying a lot. If you buy more than you use, i.e. stock up in the freezer, then later you'll buy less as you work through what's in the freezer (assuming you're not going to monotonically increase your stocks!) So that only delays, not prevents, the inevitable drop in demand and therefore discontinuation, and makes you buy a freezer. On the other hand, if you don't stock up the freezer, then they discontinue it anyway, you'll slap your forehead and wish you had stocked up.

--Dave
08-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Dave,

It's true that Velvia (especially 50) is an unforgiving film and any slight errors in exposure calculation can result in an unusable shot. What's more is that compressing your scenes into that narrow dynamic range (estimated 4-6 stops) from what is front of you usually requires a pretty thorough knowledge of when to use graduated filters and other tricks. But it has to be said that if you can conquer all these skills then the results truly are second to none! Without knowing too much about your set up I would suggest using a separate spotmeter and learning how to take correct light readings and calculating exposures. I would probably start this with a cheaper slide film and then practice until you have that nailed. Once you are in this position I would start on the Velvia 50 but still bracket half a stop either side of your calculated exposure. I still do this as I haven't yet reached the ultimate mastery whereby you know the film so well that you just need to take the one single shot knowing that you have the shot in the bag. As a footnote I rate Velvia 50 at ISO 40 on my camera (Pentax 67II) as it tends to give a more correctly exposed result on average. You might want to try both rating at 50 and 40 to see which you prefer and is easier to print/scan.

As for you second point it's quite an interesting one. I guess the ideal solution is that folk buy and use enough film regularly to make the equation workable for the photographer as well as profitable for the manufacturer. Unfortunately we don't have access to the second part of the equation but it would interesting to know just how much film needs to be sold in order for it to remain 'viable' for a company like FujiFilm.

Cheers
Rick
08-08-2012, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Velvia (50) rules!

08-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
Fantastic shots Pål! Yes, Velvia 50 really excels in these low light/dusk/dawn shots. It picks up the slightest accents of colours and really highlights them in an amazing way.

08-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Excuse the crap shot, but look at these completely un-processed colours...

ME, K28/2.8, RVP50
08-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Nice Velvia shots!

I have a freezer full of Sensia 100 that I have to go through before I switch back to Velvia.

Phil.