Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Closed Account

Spotmatic F help needed

Hi,

I went out to buy this camera tonight, but both the seller and I ran into a problem.

The transport lever won't move and the shutter won't fire. The lock button is pushed to the right and I can push in the shutter. The counter is sitting just right of zero and the rewind button on the bottom plate of the camera stays pushed in, also after opening the camera.

The seller told me he fired and transported the camera a couple of times last night and all was ok. I believe him. Before that the camera had not been used for 5 years or more.

Any ideas? Am I missing out on something, or did something jam last night when the seller tried the camera? In the end he practically gave it to me. Lightmeter is exactly right and very responsive.

Thanks !

08-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like something in the winding mechanism is jammed. Probably an Eric job...
08-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I was wondering, since it looks like you are in Europe and so Eric might not be an easy solution, I curious about some facts.

"Transport stuck" with the back open, can you spin the toothed roller in either direction?
It sounds like the mirror is not in a up and stuck, but is the curtain is in a stuck half or open position?
Is the lever frozen and is not able to return to the parked position?
08-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I was wondering, since it looks like you are in Europe and so Eric might not be an easy solution, I curious about some facts.

"Transport stuck" with the back open, can you spin the toothed roller in either direction?
It sounds like the mirror is not in a up and stuck, but is the curtain is in a stuck half or open position?
Is the lever frozen and is not able to return to the parked position?
Thanks! The camera was sent to my repairman - yes in Europe -

I could spin the roller in either direction, mirror was down, curtain looked normal and not open. The lever is in the parked position, but won't move.

Anyway, assuming it can be fixed, this camera will also get a full CLA. The lightmeter works very well and the camera did no more than 100 films . . .

If anyone has a clean chrome top - this the camera could use . . .

08-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
...camera did no more than 100 films . . .
Low mileage is sometimes good. Low wear and tear on the body. In some cases that would mean the camera was not performing and was left in a drawer after... but I'll not be any more negative. Common on many cameras over times is the grease, oils, foam and rubber bumpers, baffles, seals and cushions that decay or crumble or clog. A standard CLA will usually fix all.
08-07-2012, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Of course one can never be sure, but I prefer to believe in the good of people, rathen than in the opposite. I still have to be proven wrong . . . As important: I do not like to give up on cameras like the Spotmatics, the longer they're kept alive the better is the world we live in, ha !
08-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Of course one can never be sure, but I prefer to believe in the good of people, rathen than in the opposite. I still have to be proven wrong . . . As important: I do not like to give up on cameras like the Spotmatics, the longer they're kept alive the better is the world we live in, ha !
Save a film camera and save film... and the world. Good words to live by.

08-22-2012, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
Happy to say I got back the SPF, repaired and looked over, lubricated, adjusted, etc. The transport had jammed because a screw had gotten lose. Slow times were off, they're back to normal again. Camera was converted to use today's batteries . . . It came back to me with the remark that this camera is like new inside.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
645 PRO for iPhone  Photo 
08-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

Handsome specimen you have there!
08-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
Ah, that's just the Iphone, making it look pretty