Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

How to remove top cover for Pentax MX

I get a pentax mx recently from ebay, due to cosmetic wear i decide to repaint the top and bottom cover
bottom is easy to unscrew, but top cover come with many dials and more complicated.

I dun wish to lose and things and make the camera not working again, can someone kindly help?

Thx

08-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You may use a painting tape to cover what you do not want to be painted.
A little bit more work, but will be safer to loose the camera workability.
08-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
MX service manual is available if you are so inclined -> http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/mx_sm.pdf
08-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

The top deck removal requires the following to be done...

First... rewind knob-spin off counter clockwise first wedge a tool in the film spool prong first
Next... the slotted retaining ring under... a spanner is best, but a long bladed scissors might work and slip trim washer off
Then... the other side is the shutter knob, you'll need a fine double pin driver or if not a sturdy pair of paperclips and tight grip and remove dust ring
Now... the pin spanner for the film crank and it must come of in the clockwise direction and slip dust ring off
Finally... the four cross head screws and that is two on the release side and two on either side of the eyepiece.

You need not bother with the shutter release button and watch out for the release cable pin under it when the cover is removed.

08-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thx for all ur comments...really help alot....

by the way....any pentax user here got experiences on repaint work?

what the best paint should i use? I wan the finishing look to be semi-glossy type or near the original paint if possible...

thx for all patient replys^^
08-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

I only know that folks used to tell me that a gun smith blackening finish is the best?

...birchwood casey brass black... is the stuff, but I have yet to try it.
08-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
DAP

I've repainted cameras before...it is not worth the time and effort on an MX imho (or for that matter, any camera that is readily available in black paint). If you really want a black one I would suggest buying a black MX.

If you want to go ahead an paint it here is the method I used to use:

1)strip chrome off of camera in a muriatic acid bath (paint will not stick to chrome)
2)strip nickel off using a nickel stripping kit from caswell plating (this is optional - paint will stick to nickel, but if you want it to "brass" you are going to have to lose the nickel)
3)wash all the crap off the bare brass plate
4)place top in dilute phosphoric acid solution to pickle it (you want to etch it so the paint will adhere better)
5)rinse off top and scrub it using mineral spirits
6)wash off with soap and water
7)scrub it again with mineral spirits
8)scrub off the mineral spirit residue using acetone
9)airbrush it with the paint of your choice
10)bake the painted cover in and oven to cure the paint (obviously this step is dependent on what type of paint you use - some paints need it some don't)
11)before you reassemble it let the paint cure as long as possible (fresh paint will scratch much more easily)

Trust me - the process is a major PITA (it is a long drawn out affair...and if this is your first repaint there is a solid chance it will look like crap when it is done). It is really hard to get paint to stick to brass so you have to be VERY thorough with your prep. Unless you are a glutton for punishment or just really hellbent on painting your MX I would just pass.
08-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
I've repainted cameras before...it is not worth the time and effort on an MX imho (or for that matter, any camera that is readily available in black paint). If you really want a black one I would suggest buying a black MX.

If you want to go ahead an paint it here is the method I used to use:

1)strip chrome off of camera in a muriatic acid bath (paint will not stick to chrome)
2)strip nickel off using a nickel stripping kit from caswell plating (this is optional - paint will stick to nickel, but if you want it to "brass" you are going to have to lose the nickel)
3)wash all the crap off the bare brass plate
4)place top in dilute phosphoric acid solution to pickle it (you want to etch it so the paint will adhere better)
5)rinse off top and scrub it using mineral spirits
6)wash off with soap and water
7)scrub it again with mineral spirits
8)scrub off the mineral spirit residue using acetone
9)airbrush it with the paint of your choice
10)bake the painted cover in and oven to cure the paint (obviously this step is dependent on what type of paint you use - some paints need it some don't)
11)before you reassemble it let the paint cure as long as possible (fresh paint will scratch much more easily)

Trust me - the process is a major PITA (it is a long drawn out affair...and if this is your first repaint there is a solid chance it will look like crap when it is done). It is really hard to get paint to stick to brass so you have to be VERY thorough with your prep. Unless you are a glutton for punishment or just really hellbent on painting your MX I would just pass.

Very good listing. But from his post I guess he already has a Black MX, But wants to repaint it, as the original color is worn out.
So I would suggest bead-blasting it. That way, the remaining pint would be removed and the surface would be ready to paint at the same time.
I also recommend to remove the see-through plastic parts before doing any of that, to get better results.

And when applying the paint, always initially spray away from the cover and then move on it (while still spraying). when you push the button of the Spray can/air brush while aiming on the Cover, paint that collected on the spray valve could be spread on the cover resulting on ugly bubbles.

Sorry, for the terrible description. I'm not good at describing something in English.