Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax AP, repair, manual, help needed!

I recently got hold of a Pentax AP. While looking quite good, a lot of things didn't work. Mirror was stuck in up position, trigger didn't work etc. After some work with it, it now work as it should on the shortest shutter times, but on longer shutter times, the shutter does not return all the way, but stops when it is still a few mm left from closing entirely.

If someone has experience of fixing this camera, any tips would be welcome.

I don't have any manual for it and can't find one on-line either. The shutter setting puzzles me. The first Pentax SLR's have two wheels for the shutter time. One for the short shutter times (on the top in more or less the "normal" position), and one for the longer shutter times (roughly where most SLR's have the timer). How does the camera know which wheel I want it to use? Is one wheel supposed to be in a special position to be "un-activated" so that the camera instead use the shutter time of the other wheel? I don''t get this without the manual and since the wheels separate short and long shutter times and since I have different problems with different shutter times, maybe it is essential to understand how these two wheels are meant to be operated???

08-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I know exactly how you feel considering it is a seemingly simple camera after all!

Manual can be found at -> Asahi Pentax instruction manual, user manual, free PFD camera manuals and give him a donation.

My original needed a CLA and here in the US Eric is Da Man -> Home

This thread may be of interest -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/157099-asahi-p...ew-1958-a.html

Last edited by LesDMess; 08-03-2012 at 04:49 AM.
08-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Found the manual now at Butkus. It was as I suspected. When the slow speed dial is on 25, one can set any of the faster times with the fast speed dial.
Just realized this camera has both B and T.
But the problem with the shutter not returning completely at exposure times slower than 1/100th remain.
Anyone got a repair handbook for this one?
08-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I know exactly how you feel considering it is a seemingly simple camera after all!

Manual can be found at -> Asahi Pentax instruction manual, user manual, free PFD camera manuals and give him a donation.

My original needed a CLA and here in the US Eric is Da Man -> Home

This thread may be of interest -> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/157099-asahi-p...ew-1958-a.html
Thanks Les. Didn't see your post until now.

It appears that Eric no longer service the AP due to lack of spare parts, according to another thread (and he doesn't list it on his web page).

08-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It wouldn't hurt to email him which is what I did and he confirmed he can first check it out. If it just needs a CLA then possibly no parts are required. Obviously it is probably as simple a camera as can be worked on but I wanted a pro to do the work and I couldn't be happier.