Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I'm an endangered species...

...at least in this corner of the world. Just got back from another tall-ship sailing expedition & it seemed whenever I got my camera out in port, people had something to say. I asked a security guard to take a photo of me & a shipmate; she remarked "It's not very often you see film these days". I gave a tour guide the camera to do the same elsewhere; I set it at 250 & explained that "this is a heavy camera & it will go off with a big clunk, so hold it really still, ok?". She pressed the shutter & we watched the whole camera tilt down about 2 inches. ...Sighh... I put it on a hatch cover & put the timer on it instead. (The pic at 250th actually did turn out.) There was one other crewmember aboard who had a film camera, which I was delighted to find. She has to use digital for her work, but said she really liked her old Nikon. Someone else somewhere remarked, when I took it out of the bag, that that was "a serious camera." But of the 10,000-odd people who toured the ship while we were in 3 different ports, I met one person with a film camera.
I know there are people out there using them -- you guys are posting on here. There just don't seem to be any more filmies in my corner of the world, & this trip, my K1000 seemed to get the same sort of reaction as if I'd driven up in a Model T or something.
Shees...

08-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Oh well, the important thing is that you enjoy using it. I suppose it's nice to remind people that film still exists too, and that it can produce great results.
08-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can come to London and join the crowd of hipsters using film (full disclaimer: you might still feel endangered).
08-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is precisely for those situations that I take my pocket p&s film camera!

08-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
You can come to London and join the crowd of hipsters using film (full disclaimer: you might still feel endangered).
Just scratch up the lens and bend the film door so it's full of light leaks. You'll blend right in with the hipsters :P
08-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel your pain Mr. Spock... err Alliecat. But take heart, if something happens to our wonderful electronic toys (what's the name of that new sci-fi series in NBC this 2012 fall?) you'll still be shooting at your heart's content. That's why I still keep my old Pentax LX around. And lenses, including Pentax, last for a long time.
08-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
... take heart, if something happens to our wonderful electronic toys ...you'll still be shooting at your heart's content.
Ha. Yes, that's what I often discuss with a couple of friends. After the apocalypse, we will all 3 still have plenty of real books to read, & I at least, will still be taking pictures.

08-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My K-2 and I are like father and son when out on a shoot (yes, in that order, because that thing is way older than me!). I actually learn more with it than with my K-x; being restricted to 24 or 36 shots that cost $$$ for every round is like a good dad's way of teaching his kid how to do his job properly.

As far as I like film, I agree that it's so rare nowadays - Fuji, the only good supplier left in my town, has also raised prices for both rolls and processing, making it all the more expensive... film is hobbyist's ground now, I guess...
08-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just read the posts in the thread, "Finally stopped carrying the DSLR entirely" and there are a lot of others there thinking the same way as you, Alliecat. Maybe I am sentimental or just plain stubborn, but I have retained two film cameras from my past, plus a variety of lenses for both. Admittedly I have not used them for several years but these threads are raising my interest in film again. Thanks for the incentive to go out and shoot something........with film.
08-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In these situations only the trendy folks will care that you are not shooting digital like they are.
Real photographers (film and digital) will instead be noting the vantage points you are shooting from
and perhaps trying to figure out what focal length lens you are using.

Chris