Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter

The KX was my first Pentax SLR.
It's still my favorite (and I do own an LX).

If the meter is working you're in.
Do send it to Eric for a CLA.
Enjoy!

Chris

08-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It doesn't matter if the meter is working or not. I do hope it is, of course, but it won't affect my ability to still use it if it's not. I've got two hand held meters I use a lot for film work. The KX is all mechanical. The only thing that needs a battery is the meter so it should work fine regardless. Though it would be nice as it supposedly has an interesting viewer/meter/needle set up.

It uses LR44 batteries besides which are easily gotten though. That's great. I hate it when I have to send away for batteries. I'm always really happy when it's the LR44's because I can pick those up just about anywhere locally. I love my Spotties but sending away for their battery is a big PITA. I can never find them locally.
08-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yeah, I sure as heck am, grin. I was watching it all week but I nearly forgot about it actually. Not been feeling great, bad tooth, and I wasn't really paying as close attention as I should have been. I was playing a particularly tough hidden object game all night and right before it ended I was busy making a snack. I made my bid very last minute actually. I was very surprised to see it still sitting there still at a low bid with 2 mins to go. I just bid $100 I think it was and went with it.

I didn't actually expect to get it. I figured someone would snipe me out of it last 30 secs for sure. It did go up but it didn't go well over $100 like I thought it would. That was just total dumb luck, lol. Between that and the $250 105mm I snagged for what amounts to maybe $30 I'm feeling pretty darned smug. I've got lenses to sell to cover most of it and I've got two beautiful new toys, yay!

I still cannot believe someone snagged a 105mm Tak for like $40 though. That was just utter madness. That's a $200 lens of late. They just totally stole that puppy. But it's not just me. People are walking off with gear this week that they'd normally be paying a lot more for. Very few people bidding against you. Seriously, I think a lot of the normal bidders must be off on vacation. There's no other explanation for it. Too many resellers use them as a source of good gear to sell. Usually anything good for Pentax and you're really talking a much tougher auction scenario.

I just love Goodwill though. My Pops and I spend a lot of $$$ there. Other than maybe Amazon I can't think of anyplace online we like more. The shipping can be killer, but you just cannot find this quality stuff locally. We buy presents for the girls and camera gear for me. Save a bundle usually even with the shipping...
I missed a great deal one time by forgetting what time it went off....would have kicked my own butt if I could have reached it! Sorry to hear about the bad tooth, they can really ruin your day for sure. Just had a broken one cut out the other day, no fun at all!

I was shocked at the selling price too when I checked it the next day. Told the missus just as I shut off the computer last night that it would go for over $100 easily.
Sounds like you're really on a great run, first the 105 and now this one....might be a good day to go buy a lottery ticket! Ha! The resellers are really making it tough on us poor folks, snatching up most of the good bargains. When I can afford it, I always set a "bargain" limit, and won't go over it. If I get it, great, if not, well, wasn't ment to be.

Haven't actually bought anything off of the Goodwill site yet, but I search it all the time, just in case. The prices have been going up for the most part over the past several months, but if your patient, and lucky, you can get some nice equipment at the right price. It's fun to browse either way.

Griz
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My blood is boiling and I'm salivating. Welcome to the inner circle!

I've had mine since 1977 and it is even today my go-to film camera. I sold my brown K1000SE around 2006 and I don't miss it at all.

Go tp Pentax-Manuals.com for the best KX manual Scan. The password is Pentax. Robin Coxon is an internet friend. Some of the M42 scans are from a paper collection I had in the late 90's.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-07-2012 at 05:35 PM.
08-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
Site Supporter

The meter on the KX is one of its best features and IMO a major reason for joining.

For those without a black camera fetish (the chrome ones take equally good pictures)
keh.com currently lists a KX chrome body in EX condition for $119.
That means very clean, fully working, with 90 day warranty
and two week no-questions-asked return policy.

Chris
08-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I've had mine since 1977 and it is even today my go-to film camera. I sold my brown K1000SE around 2006 and I don't miss it at all.

Go tp Pentax-Manuals.com for the best KX manual Scan. The password is Pentax. Robin Coxon is an internet friend. Some of the M42 scans are from a paper collection I had in the late 90's.
Thanks very much. Much better.
08-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The meter on the KX is one of its best features and IMO a major reason for joining.

For those without a black camera fetish (the chrome ones take equally good pictures)

Chris
I do have a black camera fetish, at least when it comes to the older ones apparently. I am very glad mine is. The color makes this win all that more sweet. I'm really looking forward to having mine. All the comments I have read here have made me realize what a gem this one probably is. Seems kind of appropriate actually that I should have one of these. Being as the digital K-x is a major passion of mine....
08-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #23

If I was a collector, I'll be trying to get one of those. The manual focus and manual match-needle exposure KX 35mm film SLR camera has a shutter-speed dial with smooth detents, shutter speeds visible in th viewfinder and a periscopic window to allow the photgrapher to see the lens aperture set. Oh, did I forgto to tell you that you can even set the built-in exposure meter to use film as slow as ISO 6 and as fast as ISO 6400? If you memorized the direction to move the aperture ring of your Pentax K or M lens, It was as good to handle and operate as having an aperture or shutter priority automatic exposure camera. Even if you think to resell it in the future, give yourself some time to enjoy it with any K, M, F or even FA lens, even with "color print film".

08-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Yep I'm with you on the KX, perfection!

Phil.
08-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep I'm with you on the KX, perfection!
Phil.
Just one little thing annoys me about it: having to have the wind-on lever poking in my eye to take a light reading. I guess because I grew-up using an ME Super and an MX I'm used to the half-press turning the meter on. I just keep doing that and of course, nothing happens...

Other than that, a lovely camera!

K.
08-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Same as the Nikon F2, and thousands of pro photographers managed to live with it...

Chris
08-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That kit of gear should be arriving here tomorrow I hope. Took them forever to send it. :P I was looking at the pics and I'm pretty sure it's going to need some new leather and light seals if nothing else. I'd send it to Eric but right now I'm way too broke. I can do the seals myself. The leather looks a bit ripped up in spots so I may just take advantage of that and recover it with something fun too. There's a local fabric shop that carries some really great faux leather, including some nice snake skins. It's a bit of a haul from here but I want to go up there in Sept sometime to look for some scraps to make doll shoes with anyhow. They usually have a bunch of stuff in the remnants bin. Last time I was there I saw this very dark rainbow snake skin that I just about salivated over. It's black but it's got hints of color, a sort of iridescent sheen. I would just love to put that on the K-X. It's much more interesting than anything on the camera leather sites online...

It's sort of like this snake, only much blacker.

http://oobrieoo.deviantart.com/art/Xenopeltis-unicolor-45794266

Ah, here we go, like THIS....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/5025600938_807a24428f.jpg

Now wouldn't this look great on the K-X? It's a fake skin though at the fabric store. Vinyl I think. I probably won't get it if it is real. I rather like snakes and lizards and stuff. I don't eat them so I don't usually wear them. I pretty much confine my skin wearing to pig skin and cowhide. I eat those animals so I don't feel too bad about using their hides but in general I don't like to buy skins when I know it's just animals who are sacrificed simply for their skins or fur. Fake is usually fine by me.

Last edited by magkelly; 08-23-2012 at 10:25 PM.
08-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Not a huge fan of snake skin m'self, but I'm sure it'll look fantastic when you're done tinkering with it It's a cool idea putting some custom material on it.
08-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
That kit of gear should be arriving here tomorrow I hope. Took them forever to send it. :P I was looking at the pics and I'm pretty sure it's going to need some new leather and light seals if nothing else. I'd send it to Eric but right now I'm way too broke. I can do the seals myself. The leather looks a bit ripped up in spots so I may just take advantage of that and recover it with something fun too. There's a local fabric shop that carries some really great faux leather, including some nice snake skins. It's a bit of a haul from here but I want to go up there in Sept sometime to look for some scraps to make doll shoes with anyhow. They usually have a bunch of stuff in the remnants bin. Last time I was there I saw this very dark rainbow snake skin that I just about salivated over. It's black but it's got hints of color, a sort of iridescent sheen. I would just love to put that on the K-X. It's much more interesting than anything on the camera leather sites online...

It's sort of like this snake, only much blacker.

Xenopeltis unicolor by ~oOBrieOo on deviantART

Ah, here we go, like THIS....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/5025600938_807a24428f.jpg

Now wouldn't this look great on the K-X? It's a fake skin though at the fabric store. Vinyl I think. I probably won't get it if it is real. I rather like snakes and lizards and stuff. I don't eat them so I don't usually wear them. I pretty much confine my skin wearing to pig skin and cowhide. I eat those animals so I don't feel too bad about using their hides but in general I don't like to buy skins when I know it's just animals who are sacrificed simply for their skins or fur. Fake is usually fine by me.
I had been wondering if the KX had arrived yet, but figured you'd be sure to post when it arrived. That iridescent black snakeskin looks cool as hell, I'm sure it would dress up your new baby quite nicely!

Griz
08-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Should be here by 5 today. It's on the truck for delivery. (Yay!) As for snakeskin when it's real I prefer it on a living snake but if it's faux I like to wear it. I like suede and saddle leather more though. I admittedly have a real thing for wearing pig skin and cow skin but since that's a by product of what I eat, and I am not capable of being an all veggie person I don't feel too bad about that.

I guess I'm kind of a leather freak actually. I have a few pairs of leather boots, a pair of leather shoes. My backpack, my favorite hat are saddle leather. I have a couple of belts, a couple of jackets, a coat, and a skirt, all leather. But nothing from a reptile. Just from cows and pigs.

I do feel sorry for how they have to live and die sometimes. I don't like it when the animals I eat are mistreated but I'm still into having bacon or steak for dinner every once in a while and I love my leather clothes. Don't like fur though at all unless it's fake. I'm kind of contrary when it comes to this issue, I guess. Won't wear fur or most animals that have it, but I'll cheerfully eat and wear cow or pig...

I'm not a natural vegetarian. Too many veggies I'm allergic to. I think I must have a real problem with getting enough iron from veggies and such too because I literally crave bloody, rare meat sometimes. Tablets don't do it either. Doc tried that but I still get borderline anemic sometimes. If it gets bad enough I have been known to end up sleepwalking and eating raw meat from the fridge. ;P

UPS usually gets here between 3 and 5 so hopefully some pics here later....

Last edited by magkelly; 08-24-2012 at 08:31 AM.