Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #31

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Should be here by 5 today. It's on the truck for delivery. (Yay!) As for snakeskin when it's real I prefer it on a living snake but if it's faux I like to wear it. I like suede and saddle leather more though. I admittedly have a real thing for wearing pig skin and cow skin but since that's a by product of what I eat, and I am not capable of being an all veggie person I don't feel too bad about that.

I guess I'm kind of a leather freak actually. I have a few pairs of leather boots, a pair of leather shoes. My backpack, my favorite hat are saddle leather. I have a couple of belts, a couple of jackets, a coat, and a skirt, all leather. But nothing from a reptile. Just from cows and pigs.

I do feel sorry for how they have to live and die sometimes. I don't like it when the animals I eat are mistreated but I'm still into having bacon or steak for dinner every once in a while and I love my leather clothes. Don't like fur though at all unless it's fake. I'm kind of contrary when it comes to this issue, I guess. Won't wear fur or most animals that have it, but I'll cheerfully eat and wear cow or pig...

I'm not a natural vegetarian. Too many veggies I'm allergic to. I think I must have a real problem with getting enough iron from veggies and such too because I literally crave bloody, rare meat sometimes. Tablets don't do it either. Doc tried that but I still get borderline anemic sometimes. If it gets bad enough I have been known to end up sleepwalking and eating raw meat from the fridge. ;P

UPS usually gets here between 3 and 5 so hopefully some pics here later....
Got my fingers crossed for you that it's everything you're hoping it will be!

I don't do the veggie thing, was a hunter for most of my life and we always ate everything that we harvested, no trophy hunting.... When I was downsized from IBM in 2006, I opened up a small leather shop out of my home. Built custom bass guitar straps that are now on 4 continents, but couldn't make it pay, and had to close the shop. Between the costs for raw materials skyrocketing, and my anal attitude striving for perfection on each project, I was spending anywhere from 10 to 15 hours on each strap. They came out very nice, but there was no way I could charge enough to pay for that amount of time, not to mention the untold hours spent on book keeping to satisfy the state. Sold all of my leather working tools to set up the home darkroom, and working to improve my printing skills to the point that I can make a couple of bucks down the road. Eh, enough of that!

Let us know how things turn out with the KX!

Cheers!
Griz

08-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

A little dust, a faded (original) strap. One tiny spot of brass where a thumb might rest but otherwise near mint, perfect right down to the light seals. They've no disintegration at all. Look new. No damage at all to the leather. I just have to spend some time wiping it down later with a damp Q-tip and hit that spot with a Sharpie and some sealer and it will look brand new! FYI, the Viv 100 is excellent, the Mayima 55, ditto. The Pentax M 50 1.7, ditto. Plus I got the Viv macro filter set which was also in great shape except the case is a bit worn. Awesome buy. You guys that were watching and "thinking about it" really lost out on this one. It's a gorgeous camera!!!! Not as big as I thought though. Not ME small but it seems smaller to me than the K1000's or the Spotties. I was surprised by that. Oh and it says "Made in Japan" which I didn't expect. But yeah, I did REAL GOOD!!! :P

Last edited by magkelly; 08-24-2012 at 04:19 PM.
08-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #33

A little dust, a faded (original) strap. One tiny spot of brass where a thumb might rest but otherwise near mint, perfect right down to the light seals. They've no disintegration at all. Look new. No damage at all to the leather. I just have to spend some time wiping it down later with a damp Q-tip and hit that spot with a Sharpie and some sealer and it will look brand new! FYI, the Viv 100 is excellent, the Mayima 55, ditto. The Pentax M 50 1.7, ditto. Plus I got the Viv macro filter set which was also in great shape except the case is a bit worn. Awesome buy. You guys that were watching and "thinking about it" really lost out on this one. It's a gorgeous camera!!!! Not as big as I thought though. Not ME small but it seems smaller to me than the K1000's or the Spotties. I was surprised by that. But yeah, I did REAL GOOD!!! :P
Glad to hear that it turned out so well (and a little jealous , Ha!). Love to see some shots from the first roll!
Enjoy!
Griz
08-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Griz57 Quote
Glad to hear that it turned out so well (and a little jealous , Ha!). Love to see some shots from the first roll! Enjoy!Griz
You may just get your wish on that one. I have a new "old" film scanner to try out too. I figured I'd do both maybe this weekend. Test out the K-X and the Epson too while I am at it. I'm off for a while now. I didn't go to bed last night and I couldn't nap today because of waiting for UPS so I'm getting kind of beat now. I'm off to sleep for a while but I'll probably be back later...

08-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #35
Inactive Account

My god, it's gorgeous. And as a veggie I reckon you'd be forgiven by the vinyl snake for skinning it and re-covering the grip. If I was a vinyl snake that's exactly where I'd like to end up... However, a bit of marker to bring it all back to life is even better. Have fun with your new baby
08-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm leaving the leather alone for now. No sense in replacing perfect leather. Couple of other things I did not notice at first. There's a tiny dent on the ASA wheel's rim. Doesn't affect anything much. Wheel works just fine, but it's there if you look. Also when I turn the aperture ring to the left it's a bit stiff, and FYI that happens with any lens. Turn it right go from F8 to F22 and it's fine, but turn it left it's just a little resistant and I can't figure out why. It could be that the camera just hasn't been used in a long while and the lever is a bit stiff. It seemed to get a lot looser when I gently played a bit with it and with the mirror lock up button but it's still just the tiniest bit stiff going from say F8 to F1.7 et all. When I get a bit more flush I guess I just may send this one and the Spottie F to Eric after all. I don't think it's going to be a major problem and it may resolve itself with a bit of use but better he looks at it and lubes it up or whatever it needs. I definitely want this baby to be 100%.

You know Spottie freak that I am I never thought I'd say this but I think I just may like this K-X as much or maybe even a little more than my SPII's. I absolutely love that double match meter needle, aperture number up top thing. It makes it so easy to see whether or not you're right there with the aperture and metering and I actually like that I have unlock it and cock the advance lever to know I am metering.That little trick will keep me from using batteries up too rapidly I think and I didn't find it got in my way at all. That was one thing that the reviews I saw of it didn't seem to like but I actually think that's a plus not a minus. I don't know if the meter is working accurately or not but it's definitely functioning with fresh batteries. I'm going to run a roll of film or two through this weekend and see if it's not absolutely pouring. But I think I just totally fell for this camera. It's a sweet little thing!

I still haven't quite decided if I am going to sell the Pentax-A 50 1.7 or the Pentax-M 1.7 but one of them will have to go to pay for this little indulgence. As much as I like the A I think I might keep the M instead. The A is worth a bit more but the M is just a tad smaller and I like that. That lens on my K-x is almost like having a pancake lens. I thought that of the A when I got it but the M I believe has a slightly thinner silhouette. I cannot tell any difference in quality at all when it comes to sharpness. I did a few test shots with both on my K-x and what I end up with is virtually identical.

I really don't need the Mamiya 55 or I'd likely keep it. I like it but I've got my choice of several Pentax 50's so it's kind of redundant. If I sell the two of them I've got back what I paid for the two kits plus a little more so I'm going to be practical girl here and list 2 of them this weekend on CL. I'm going to put the K1000's, the Taks, and some other stuff up too. See what happens. Probably won't sell for a little bit maybe but I really do need to go there and get some stuff sold off. The K1000's and the P3 really are totally redundant now though. With this little beauty in the house I'll never pick them up again.

I'm thinking I want to get my Pentax kit pared down to the K-x, KX, Queenie, the Gaffer, and the Spottie F. Anything else, all the Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Yashica stuff, it can go now. I'll keep my M42 Viv's, my Chinon's, and the Pentax 50 M or A. Maybe a 55 Tak for Queenie and one Ricoh zoom. Sell the rest of the Taks and the rest of the K mount stuff. Sell off my digital Sigma long zoom and the other Tamron I don't hardly use anymore. I've been holding off on selling almost anything with the Pentax brand on it but I'm thinking I need to go there, thin out a lot. It's time. I'm sitting on way too much money in Pentax lenses. I'm still hoping to sell off the rest but it's really looking like if I want to make some money I'm going to have to start letting go of some of the Pentax stuff. I shouldn't have bought the KX but I'm really, really glad I did!

Last edited by magkelly; 08-24-2012 at 10:21 PM.
08-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This cracked me up when I saw it. As much as I think I'm going to adore using this camera I don't think it's anywhere near worth THIS...

SLR Film 35 mm Camera PENTAX KX 50 mm F 1.2 lens USED Colection Fuji Canon NIKON | eBay

08-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #38
Inactive Account

He's had that up for well over a year now, can't quite figure out why it's not sold...
08-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, it's cheaper than a Leica :P

The camera looks beautiful, something about the proportions of it just seem so... I dunno. Modern cameras just don't have 'that'.
08-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #40

You may just get your wish on that one. I have a new "old" film scanner to try out too. I figured I'd do both maybe this weekend. Test out the K-X and the Epson too while I am at it. I'm off for a while now. I didn't go to bed last night and I couldn't nap today because of waiting for UPS so I'm getting kind of beat now. I'm off to sleep for a while but I'll probably be back later...
That would be great! I see reading a little further down the thread that you have a few minor issues, nothing that a trip to Eric couldn't solve completely. I think you're making the right decisions on the gear you're planning to sell, you're going to end up with an excellent kit in the end! Best of luck!

Griz
08-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Come on.. it is a steal!!

This cracked me up when I saw it. As much as I think I'm going to adore using this camera I don't think it's anywhere near worth THIS...

SLR Film 35 mm Camera PENTAX KX 50 mm F 1.2 lens USED Colection Fuji Canon NIKON | eBay
He used to want 1244.95 so selling for 1085 is a steal!! Just unsure who is the thief..
08-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was surprised by that. Oh and it says "Made in Japan" which I didn't expect. But yeah, I did REAL GOOD!!! :P
Looks good and yes all “K Series” film bodies were made in Japan. (KM, KX, K2 & K2DMD) The K1000 was also MIJ in the beginning, but switched to Hong Kong and China later on.

Phil

Last edited by gofour3; 08-26-2012 at 09:28 AM.
08-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For some reason, my K1000's I guess, same era, I was expecting Hong Kong. Figured they were all made elsewhere by then. I played with it today for a bit. Read the manual again with it in my hands to familiarize myself pretty well with it. Tomorrow, if it's not pouring, I'm taking it out to shoot even if it's just out by the little pier. I really want to try this camera out for real. That dual match needle thing has just really got me interested to see what this baby can do for real.
08-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For some reason, my K1000's I guess, same era, I was expecting Hong Kong. Figured they were all made elsewhere by then. I played with it today for a bit. Read the manual again with it in my hands to familiarize myself pretty well with it. Tomorrow, if it's not pouring, I'm taking it out to shoot even if it's just out by the little pier. I really want to try this camera out for real. That dual match needle thing has just really got me interested to see what this baby can do for real.
Woops brain fart, I was thinking about the FA LTD lenses which are now made in Vietnam. Yes the K1000's were made in Japan, HK and then China. I corrected my post above.

Enjoy the KX.

Thanks, Phil.
08-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'm not a natural vegetarian. Too many veggies I'm allergic to. I think I must have a real problem with getting enough iron from veggies and such too because I literally crave bloody, rare meat sometimes. Tablets don't do it either.
Tablets with iron are usually pretty rough on the stomach and not very helpful. I suggest you eat dates and red beet (raw, I hate cooked beet) instead. Keep in mind that blood testing for iron tests two things, the actual iron and iron reserves. Vegetarians tend to have lower reserves and doctors whine about it, but its not actually dangerous (unless war breaks out and you starve for days on end..)

Uh, but um.. yeah, the KX sure is a nice camera