Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cause This Baby Deserves It's Own Thread!!! :P

Just "acquired" for $56!!!! Asahi Pentax KX film PLUS it's got an SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm on it. The lens is getting sold as I already have the A series 1:1.7 sitting in my bag and I have to put that $$$ back on the credit card pronto. But I'm keeping the black KX body. The blurb says the shutter et all looks to be working and it looks like it's in decent shape otherwise. I don't see a whole lot of brassing actually so I'm thinking I really did good here. This is the camera I was pondering seriously when I was trying to decide between this and a K1000 SE for my SLR K mount. KX in black? No contest. The K1000's can go. Who needs a K1000 when you have one of these beauties to shoot with? :P

Last edited by magkelly; 05-20-2015 at 10:46 AM.
08-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome camera. Congrats. I really enjoy mine...but you still NEEED a K1000 SE.

Focus your attention on the swinging camera and repeat after me...I WILL buy a K1000...I WILL buy a K1000...I WILL buy a K1000...

Seriously, we will need to see some pix from your new acquisition.
08-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
NO, I do not. (Can't actually be hypnotized, btw...) I have 2 K1000's I'm trying to get rid of locally as it is. If this thing hadn't been all black, with that lens, and still at such a low price when I saw it earlier tonight I'd have left it well enough alone but that was a total steal at $56. I've seen the lens go for $65. Likely I'll get $55-65 for it and it will pay for the KX. I've never actually seen one of these going for less than $125, ever. (People must be on vacation or something this week.) Looks to be working? Has that lens to sell? Total no brainer. Grabbed it and RAN.

Now if I can just stop buying camera bodies and lenses long enough to actually get my black SPII fixed I'd be a very happy Pentaxian. You know if you'd have told me not so long ago that I'd have THREE official black Pentax SLR bodies I'd have laughed myself silly. It took me so very long to get just one and here I am with THREE, albeit one isn't working. I don't know. The Honeywell SPII is looking kind of redundant now and it is a major fix scenario. I may just send that one to Eric for parts when I get the F and this one CLA'd.

I'm thinking owning 3 working black bodies is kind of greedy. I have the GAF too so it's not like I am lacking in great black SLR's to mount my M42 lenses on. This one being K mount was actually a bit of an indulgence. I mean I do have 2 K1000's and all. There was absolutely no excuse for this one but plain old fashioned camera lust. Oh and I wasn't the only one who made out like a bandit tonight. Someone scooped up a $200 Tak for like $40. I totally laughed when I saw that.

Last edited by magkelly; 08-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.
08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
NO, I do not. (Can't actually be hypnotized, btw...) I have 2 K1000's I'm trying to get rid of locally as it is. If this thing hadn't been all black, with that lens, and still at such a low price when I saw it earlier tonight I'd have left it well enough alone but that was a total steal at $56. I've seen the lens go for $65. Likely I'll get $55-65 for it and it will pay for the KX. I've never actually seen one of these going for less than $125, ever. (People must be on vacation or something this week.) Looks to be working? Has that lens to sell? Total no brainer. Grabbed it and RAN. LOL
Very nice and a great camera. I've been using mine for 35+ years.

Enjoy! (Might want to send it to Eric for a CLA)

Phil.

08-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probably will eventually. But I've killed the CC enough for now. :P I'm looking at the pics and it looks to be in good shape. That store they sell good stuff from what I've seen and they're very accurate in their descriptions. Usually anything that comes from them looks really, really good. I've had lenses from there and a couple of cameras and every time it was all in nice condition. Might not even need a CLA, but even if it does need one it's still a bargain. I can change the seals and such but I'll have to check it all out and see. I'm not too worried. There are people at that store that seem to know their camera gear.
08-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a gem Oh how I envy you people with your awesome film cameras.
08-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I love bargains like that. I scored an MX50 from Gumtree on Saturday, complete with the manual and a 35-80 lens, with a nice little gadget bag, new batteries and everything in pretty much as-new condition for £20. I've already sold the camera and bag to a friend for £20, so got a lens that I've been trying to find for under £60 for months for free. Oh, and whilst the lens might look like a piece of poo, it more than lived up to the hype when I took it out shooting on Sunday. Those colours! That sharpness! The focus speed!

I hope you enjoy that beautiful kx half as much as I have my digi kx over the last couple of years - I'd love to have even a dead one, just to hang on the wall. Gorgeous looking camera with the exact right balance of form and function to make it a truly desirable object.

08-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice to have a black one. I rather like my chrome KX although it sees less use than it deserves as my LX/MX get the call more often. K.
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still cannot believe I actually snagged it. Usually people are fighting tooth and nail for these and I just walked off with it basically. Any black Pentax I've seen them go for some absurd sums. The few on Ebay are pretty expensive. I found one copy of the manual online but it's pretty rough, from a copy it looks like. Butkus doesn't seem to have a good scan. If anyone has an actual manual for this one and a scanner I'm sure he'd appreciate a nice copy of it. I'm hoping one comes with but probably not. Doesn't look like it unfortunately. The bad pdf will do me but I'd really like a regular manual for this one. It's a bit more complicated than most old Pentax SLR's.
08-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Inactive Account

This one any better? Text is very clear and the illustrations are easily viewable, if a bit contrasty. Pentax Kx Film SLR Camera Manual :: Photo-Manuals.com
08-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Just "acquired" for $56!!!! Asahi Pentax KX film PLUS it's got an SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm on it. The lens is getting sold as I already have the A series 1:1.7 sitting in my bag and I have to put that $$$ back on the credit card pronto. But I'm keeping the black KX body. The blurb says the shutter et all looks to be working and it looks like it's in decent shape otherwise. I don't see a whole lot of brassing actually so I'm thinking I really did good here. This is the camera I was pondering seriously when I was trying to decide between this and a K1000 SE for my SLR K mount. KX in black? No contest. The K1000's can go. Who needs a K1000 when you have one of these beauties to shoot with? :P
OK......my turn to COVET!!! Congrats on a GREAT deal!

Griz
08-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gee, I remember that feeling! Somebody sold theirs on the Marketplace quite a while back and I believe I mentioned being a bit green with envy or something to that effect. Guess patience "is" a virtue, lol.
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
This one any better? Text is very clear and the illustrations are easily viewable, if a bit contrasty. Pentax Kx Film SLR Camera Manual :: Photo-Manuals.com
That's the one I got. The only one I could find, but it's not that great. Butkus usually has far better versions. I always have trouble with reading B&W copy scans. I can see the text fine but some of the pic details it's not all that easy. Scanner copies are a whole lot better. But no KX under his listings unfortunately. I checked.
08-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Gee, I remember that feeling! Somebody sold theirs on the Marketplace quite a while back and I believe I mentioned being a bit green with envy or something to that effect. Guess patience "is" a virtue, lol.
I watched that camera for a week, just didn't have the spare $$ to bid.......you are sooooooooooo lucky.....lol!

Griz
08-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Griz57 Quote
I watched that camera for a week, just didn't have the spare $$ to bid.......you are sooooooooooo lucky.....lol!

Griz
Yeah, I sure as heck am, grin. I was watching it all week but I nearly forgot about it actually. Not been feeling great, bad tooth, and I wasn't really paying as close attention as I should have been. I was playing a particularly tough hidden object game all night and right before it ended I was busy making a snack. I made my bid very last minute actually. I was very surprised to see it still sitting there still at a low bid with 2 mins to go. I just bid $100 I think it was and went with it.

I didn't actually expect to get it. I figured someone would snipe me out of it last 30 secs for sure. It did go up but it didn't go well over $100 like I thought it would. That was just total dumb luck, lol. Between that and the $250 105mm I snagged for what amounts to maybe $30 I'm feeling pretty darned smug. I've got lenses to sell to cover most of it and I've got two beautiful new toys, yay!

I still cannot believe someone snagged a 105mm Tak for like $40 though. That was just utter madness. That's a $200 lens of late. They just totally stole that puppy. But it's not just me. People are walking off with gear this week that they'd normally be paying a lot more for. Very few people bidding against you. Seriously, I think a lot of the normal bidders must be off on vacation. There's no other explanation for it. Too many resellers use them as a source of good gear to sell. Usually anything good for Pentax and you're really talking a much tougher auction scenario.

I just love Goodwill though. My Pops and I spend a lot of $$$ there. Other than maybe Amazon I can't think of anyplace online we like more. The shipping can be killer, but you just cannot find this quality stuff locally. We buy presents for the girls and camera gear for me. Save a bundle usually even with the shipping...