Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kodacolor-X from Endangered Species - Opinions

I was excited to receive a package in the mail yesterday from Four Corner Store with a roll of their new Revolog Streak film to try, but even more excited for the box of Endangered Species film, described on their site as "four random rolls from our secret stash of film."

I wondered which rolls I'd get and so I tore open the package and opened the box to discover one of these inside next to three other rolls of film:

My wife, who is not interested in cameras at all, immediately exclaimed that this was the cutest film container ever. I thought it was pretty neat too. Inside the container is a 20 exposure roll of Kodacolor-X. I've been shooting film for 20 years, but this Kodacolor is older than I am. Now I'm faced with the decision on whether to shoot the roll or leave it as is.

I'd appreciate your opinions on what you think I should do. Should I keep the roll of film in the freezer or fridge and never shoot it because it's old and may have lost much of it's sensitivity and be so fogged the pictures hardly turn out? Should I store the film because it's vintage and neat? Or should I load it in a camera and enjoy shooting it, realizing it'll have to be developed in B&W or C-41 chemicals because I'd hardly find somewhere processing C-22 (I haven't developed film since I was a teenager, plus I no longer have the equipment and chemicals)? Or do I shoot it and send it off for development not worrying about the results at all?

08-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a waste to just leave it because it's old. It was made to create pictures, you'd be heartless to deny it the opportunity to fulfill it's purpose!

And I'd send it off for development at a proper laboratory. They might not have the exact right process but surely someone will know how to get something out of it.
08-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

I bought a medium format camera last year that had sat in a storage unit in Southern California for over 30 years. Upon opening the back I realized it had a roll of kodacolor in it (I fogged half the roll right there). I sent it off to a lab, what I got back was color shifted but usable. I scanned and converted to black and white and they turned out good (except for the ones I fogged). It was neat looking back in time. If your not afraid of losing a few dollars on processing, then, give it a try.
08-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. It sounds like we have the same idea, to shoot the film as it was meant to be.

Any idea how much I should adjust the exposure compensation for such old film?

08-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Honestly I'd recommend against using it. It's a c-22 process film and even if you find someone irresponsible enough to process it as c-41 it'll come back blank. The reason being that c-41 is done at a higher temperature and as I understand it the emulsion will melt right off the base. The best thing if you really want to shoot it is develop it as b&w. I've had pretty good luck with HC-110 dil. B for 8 minutes with a variety of color films both old and new but as you know, with age and unknown storage conditions it's still kind of a crap shoot. Good luck!
08-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's old and useless, at least try and get something with it. If the processing goes wrong at least it'll be no more old and useless than it was anyway. Just don't take any important shots with it.
08-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Welcome to the Forums MainerAl. I've been thinking of developing it in B&W chemicals, so I appreciate the recommendation.
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

You're welcome builttospill, I hope it works out. The fog was pretty thick on the two Kodacolor-X rolls I did but the images were there and I got about the same with an even older roll of Kodacolor probably from the late 50's, early 60's. Those were found films though, it'll be interesting to see the results of recently taken shots.
Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking here off and on for a couple years now and figured it was about time I signed up .