Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PZ-1P owners Is this normal? Autofocusing issues

Hi all

I just picked up a PZ-1p off ebay and I am having issues with the auto focusing. Here are the lens I have tested with:

F35-70
F70-210
FA35-200

The auto-focusing hunts A LOT! and then has trouble focusing. It is not all the time but more than 70% on the F70-210. With this lens it will get stuck and not rotate through all of the focusing range, just move like an 1/8 of its travel. On the other lens it may or may not focus after going through its dance.

All these lens focus fine on my other cameras (K-r, ZX5n, *ist). They may go back forth over their entire range but focus fine.

Was the autofocus technology that primative? Based on the reviews I read on the site I expected it to be pretty decent. I am still learning the camera but I believe it only focuses on one point in the center.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

08-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I'm just pointing out the obvious here, but I would recommend trying the AF in a well-lit area, if you have not done that.

Good luck.
08-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmm18 Quote
Was the autofocus technology that primative? Based on the reviews I read on the site I expected it to be pretty decent. I am still learning the camera but I believe it only focuses on one point in the center.
Yup, that's right- there's only one AF point. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just checked it outside and in the kitchen. Outside it does focus (it light but very overcast) but In the kitchen with all the lights on I can't get it to focus on my wife.

Wonder if most folks mainly use it with manual lens. Though, one of the reviews said it focused better than his K10D and others said it had "tractor like" Auto-focus. Not happening for me. My gut feel is it is not working correctly.

08-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with you...My gut also says that's not working correctly.
My buddy has one and absolutely loves his. I haven't talked to him about this yet, but I can't imagine that he would love it so much if it exhibited those kinds of focusing characteristics.
Maybe try it with a prime lens to see if it works differently.
And find the manual on-line and read through it. Perhaps a setting is wrong, such as it's in Servo mode instead of Single.
It'd be a shame to have to return it.
08-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both my PZ-1p's don't do that, in fact they tend to focus faster than my (cough, cough) K5. Something is wrong.
08-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My PZ-1p focuses as fast as my K7 does. It may have only one focus point but it is quick for me. If it were me I would believe that your camera is not working properly.

That being said, I rarely use any zooms, all my auto focus glass are primes, but I can't believe that would make any difference.
08-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In fact, it is my preferred sports camera. It focuses very fast and because it is only one focus point I know exactly what it is focusing on.

08-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I only used fast primes when I had the Z-1ps which AF fast. There are 3 possible causes for slow AF:

- Slow zooms, because the smaller the aperture is, the less effective the AF will be.
- Dirty AF sensor. You can try to blow off the dust of the sensor which sits on the lower side of the mirror box.
- Low quality battery can generate all sorts of strange behavior.
08-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for your help. I air cleaned it and it made a marginal difference. I went looking for a 2cr5 battery but was unsucessfull finding one locally though I did not have much time today to look.

Seller is very good and is willing to take it back but we both trying see if it is something that we can fix. I think if a new battery doesn't do it I will return it. :-(
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have the cable release, you may remove the back and fire the shuttle in B mode, then wet clean the sensor. It is possible the clear lens is just dirty after 2 decades.
08-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
If you have the cable release, you may remove the back and fire the shuttle in B mode, then wet clean the sensor. It is possible the clear lens is just dirty after 2 decades.
That is definitely more than I feel comfortable doing. Thanks for the suggestion.