Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is this flare?

The image below was captured with a KX and M50/1.4 on Fuji 400, untouched except to reduce the size to meet PF requirements . It was just about noon with extreme sunlight when I shot it. At first I didn't notice the dual lines parallel to the fork. Is the an example of flare? And regardless of what it is, could someone give a clue as to how it occurred.

thanks in advance,
Fred

Original (downsized)

Crop from the original

08-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The most likely cause is that you had a filter on the lens--the double image is caused by a reflection between the filter and the lens.
08-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, that explains it. I forgot I had a polarize filter on that day. Thanks makTak!

I don't recall seeing this reflection during the shot. Should it have been visible through the viewfinder?
08-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
Ah, that explains it. I forgot I had a polarize filter on that day. Thanks makTak!

I don't recall seeing this reflection during the shot. Should it have been visible through the viewfinder?

In my limited experience I don't think so, mainly because of image size. I learned this one the had way after shooting some neon signs in fairly dim lighting.

10-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
In my limited experience I don't think so, mainly because of image size. I learned this one the had way after shooting some neon signs in fairly dim lighting.
Colbyt, do you think this effect might have to do with why I have been having trouble getting sharp images with Super Takumar 28 and 50 lenses under dull artificial light with UV filter on? The problem is the images frequently appear soft or very soft even though the focus scale seemed set right for the distance and the image in VF seemed sharp. The effect is not noticeable on the other 8 takumars which have rounder front elements.

I am speculating, more reflectance because of single coating, which then has several reflection cycles, each moving the light sideways a bit, and hence the softness.
10-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Colbyt, do you think this effect might have to do with why I have been having trouble getting sharp images with Super Takumar 28 and 50 lenses under dull artificial light with UV filter on? The problem is the images frequently appear soft or very soft even though the focus scale seemed set right for the distance and the image in VF seemed sharp. The effect is not noticeable on the other 8 takumars which have rounder front elements.

I am speculating, more reflectance because of single coating, which then has several reflection cycles, each moving the light sideways a bit, and hence the softness.
Take off the filter.

One other thing to consider. Your photos will never be any better than the illumination of the subject. If the light is dull, the same will be true of the photo. If the light does not have a full color spectrum, ditto. Light is foundational.

Steve
10-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe the technical term for what you see in the image is "ghosting." I don't know that it would have helped, but one of the reasons I like to use hoods whenever possible is that they can help keep out things like this, which you may not even notice at the time of shooting.

10-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I believe the technical term for what you see in the image is "ghosting." I don't know that it would have helped, but one of the reasons I like to use hoods whenever possible is that they can help keep out things like this, which you may not even notice at the time of shooting.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't even own a hood on the day that shot was taken. But since then, I've collected hoods for each of my lens and use them nearly always.
10-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 on taking the filter off. I plain just don't use them with digital equipment.