Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no jive, five zx-5s! ... but now what?

Not sure if it was a silly thing to do, but I picked up a box of five as-is ZX5 bodies a little while ago. I parted one out for another project and plan to restore as many of the other four as possible. So far, two are fully functional again, having just needed the pop-up flash repaired. I've run film through one to test it -- developed yesterday, and all came out perfect, yay -- and am about to test the second.

Of course the question is, now, what am I going to do with these? I do "collect" but certainly don't need this many of the same model.

If all I'm going to fix is the broken pop-up mechanisms, I can toss them around pretty cheaply, but knowledgeable buyers will prefer knowing there is a fresh mirror motor gear in place. I'm pretty well experienced now with that repair/upgrade, and it's perfectly reasonable to do it pre-emptively on a fully working camera and end up with something that can be considered "better than new" in that respect. But it means significant extra work plus the part. To make it worth doing for me I'd probably have to price finished bodies at around $70. Am I likely to find people who'd buy for that? If I didn't already have one, I might be willing to part with such a price -- spot metering, pentaprism viewfinder, classic dial controls, yeah yeah -- but I already own three working samples, with two more possibly about to graduate from the repair bench, plus a 5n.

Thoughts. advice?

08-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Not sure if it was a silly thing to do, but I picked up a box of five as-is ZX5 bodies a little while ago. I parted one out for another project and plan to restore as many of the other four as possible. So far, two are fully functional again, having just needed the pop-up flash repaired. I've run film through one to test it -- developed yesterday, and all came out perfect, yay -- and am about to test the second.

Of course the question is, now, what am I going to do with these? I do "collect" but certainly don't need this many of the same model.

If all I'm going to fix is the broken pop-up mechanisms, I can toss them around pretty cheaply, but knowledgeable buyers will prefer knowing there is a fresh mirror motor gear in place. I'm pretty well experienced now with that repair/upgrade, and it's perfectly reasonable to do it pre-emptively on a fully working camera and end up with something that can be considered "better than new" in that respect. But it means significant extra work plus the part. To make it worth doing for me I'd probably have to price finished bodies at around $70. Am I likely to find people who'd buy for that? If I didn't already have one, I might be willing to part with such a price -- spot metering, pentaprism viewfinder, classic dial controls, yeah yeah -- but I already own three working samples, with two more possibly about to graduate from the repair bench, plus a 5n.

Thoughts. advice?
Maybe put them up in the marketplace with the option for the buyers to buy as-is or pay a bit more for a refurbished product and then do the work once the person has committed. That way you get them on the market, you don't spend money if you don't sell them.
08-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got my ZX-5n for $90.00 a few years back without the knowledge of the plastic gear issue and feel like it was money well-spent. With the piece of mind that would come from the knowledge that it had been refurbed, I wouldn't hesitate to spend that again. Think you may be selling your service a little short.

Best,
Kevin
08-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd buy one, even if the pop up flash didn't work (I don't use that silly thing).

08-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
JinDesu - I agree, but the pop-up flash is the easy part, so there's no good reason not to fix it if I have the parts already.

Anyway, all of you, thanks for the input. Probably I'll do the brass gear upgrade in at least one or two of these before looking for buyers.