Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax MZ-S with home-loaded film cannister

When I use plastic home-loaded cannisters with my Pentax MZ-S body it does not rewind the film at the end of the roll. Starts to rewind, but after a second it stops and gives an error message. It does not even work with the manual rewind button. I do not know exactly if it has something to do with DX coding but my guess is that it has. My other thought that I might need to set it in the Functions. Don't know.
So when I use home-loaded cannisters with the MZ-S I have only one roll to go as I can take them out in the darkroom only (have no changing bag to take with me).

Any similar experience with other AF bodies? Or maybe a solution?

08-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

I have the same problem with my MZ-30 & ZX-7. I think its a combination of the felt light trap being tight and a weak rewind mechanism on this series of cameras. My SF1 works fine with them.
08-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll drill a hole on my MZ-S and install a good old rewind shaft then Might help in these cases.
08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
I'll drill a hole on my MZ-S and install a good old rewind shaft then
Hmmm, let me think . . . I don't see a down side to that, I think you should

Back to being serious, I am curious if metal re-loadable cassettes work with these cameras. Anybody use metal cassettes?

08-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Seems like a good idea trying metal casettes. I might invest in one or two to see how they work with AF bodies.
08-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Plastic cassettes seem to require more effort advancing/rewinding manually too.
I suspect the thicker walls leave less space for the coiled film, resulting in more resistance.

I also recall that the ends of the plastic cassettes I used tended to come off rather easily during normal use.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-20-2012 at 08:49 AM.
08-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have only ever used metal cassettes with my MZ-S and have never had the problem that you have. That certainly points the problem at the
plastic cassettes that you are using.
Glenn
08-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is what I suspected. I have never had any problem with factory loaded casettes in my MZ-S. Will start looking around for some metal casettes or just figure out how I could reuse the empty ones.

10-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #9

Just a quick update.

I bought a box containing a Burke & James bulk loader and 30 metal cassettes from my local camera shop. I've run several films through the MZ-7 using the metal cassettes without a problem. I've even noticed that the advancing film doesn't bog down the motor like the plastic ones did.