Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New film body!

Gotta love Pentaxians, and Pentax in general.

A customer of mine at my automotive shop is a "former" Pentaxian who didn't transition to digital SLR. He mainly takes snaps, so his point and shoot has done him fine, he was more serious when he was younger, but now that he's in his late 40's he has decided to start purging old gear. And by purge I mean he stopped by and gave me some toys.

So today I acquired my first "modern" film body in that of a MZ6. It's in amazing shape, better than my K5, and it surprisingly had a body cap and hotshoe cap. I quickly went to throw some new batteries in it and a roll of Fujichrome Provia 100. I have a bunch of rolls of Illford 400 at home, but I thought why not test this "new" body out with color film and the only lens he had that wasn't a duplicate of something I already own... a 75-150mm M f4 zoom! I hear these are getting more and more rare, and this one, like the body, is in near perfect shape!

Some smudging on the front glass, but nothing a microfiber couldn't take care of. No fungus or anything inside, maybe a perfect specimen?

The other lenses were M 28mm f2.8 (this will be my 4th copy...), M50 2.0 (my 2nd), M 135 3.4 (my second copy, which is nice because my first copy suffers from some softness compared to my Tak Bayonette 2.8)

Can't wait to get shooting!

08-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome! I'm jealous.

I'm very much on the fence about getting a film body at the moment. I'd love to use my two FA Limiteds but am apprehensive about the whole endeavor. I think I'd really like to shoot B&W, set up a makeshift darkroom, and take portraits with really low ISO film (25 to 50) and strobes. I think I'll eventually get a PZ-1 or PZ-1p as they have the fastest flash sync speed of any Pentax, AFAIK. I am already knee deep in my effort to master digital so I feel I'd be stretching myself too thin by picking up film right now, hence being on the fence and deciding by default to put it on the back burner for the time being.

All that said, I'm happy for you and look forward to seeing some scans of those Provia 100 shots with the MZ6. Some pics of your new camera and lenses would be nice too. Please share your thoughts on the MZ-6 after you spend some time with it. I almost bought a MZ-5n but backed out of it after finding out it was actually an MZ-5 and rather overpriced. I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the MZ-6.

Last edited by TomTextura; 08-17-2012 at 06:39 PM.
08-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the past two years I've acquired two PZ-1p bodies, one MZ-5, and one MZ-5n. I love the PZ-1p's but the MZ-5n is a very nice body too. You should have a lot of fun with that MZ6.
08-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people have all the luck

08-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ummmm... I just scored an ME and an old random Rangefinder too. My dad brought them over for me. Found them going through his dads old stuff....

The mirror for the ME is locked up tho....
08-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The mirror for the ME is locked up tho....
Could be an easy fix. First check that the foam strip at the bottom of the mirror isn't sticking the mirror up. If its not that, take a look here:- Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings
08-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

08-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Some people have all the luck
This past week I scored three Componon-S enlarging lenses that except for the one missing lens cap do not look like they were ever out of the box. Perhaps luck will fall your way so too

Winder

I have never used the MZ6 but love the MZ5n. Nice feel for me anyways of that size body style. Enjoy the camera and lens. They look lovely
08-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Perhaps luck will fall your way so too
Good luck I hope.
I just got 4 rolls of b/w 1 roll of Ilford HP5 plus, and 3rolls of Kentmere 400 all dated for 2013. I have never shot any of these but for the price. So tomorrow Morning I and my ZX-7 are off to see what I can see.