Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax wins the day

I'm off to France tomorrow for a couple of weeks, sharing that time between Paris and La Rochelle on the west coast. I've been agonising over what kit to take. For digital it will be my Canon 7D with good quality (heavy) 17-50 walkround lens.

For film I often take one or two of my Pentax bodies but this time I decided to take my Canon EOS 3 (heavy) with my 24-105L (heavy) lens. The thought being that the 24-105L can also be used on the 7D if I need more range. I'm planning on shooting Tmax 400 during the day and Neopan 1600, possibly @ 3200 in the evening and swapping the rolls in the body as required.

All went well until I packed the Canon bodies and their lenses today. Jeez, my camera bag was so heavy. There was no way that I could carry that around Paris all day including to the top of the Arc de Triomphe (I do need to work on my fitness ) so its back to Plan A which is Canon 7D & K1000 during the day and Canon 7D & ME Super in the evening. I'll take my Pentax 28mm, 50mm and 135mm primes and they hardly weigh anything. I only have to carry one film body about at any one time and you wouldn't believe how lighter the bag felt after taking the Canon film rig out and putting the ME Super in. I will have to work around the fact that the ME Super doesn't do ISO 3200 but it underexposes by 2/3 of a stop anyway so its not a big problem.

Can't wait to get shooting in Paris again.

08-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I'm off to France tomorrow for a couple of weeks, sharing that time between Paris and La Rochelle on the west coast. I've been agonising over what kit to take. For digital it will be my Canon 7D with good quality (heavy) 17-50 walkround lens.

For film I often take one or two of my Pentax bodies but this time I decided to take my Canon EOS 3 (heavy) with my 24-105L (heavy) lens. The thought being that the 24-105L can also be used on the 7D if I need more range. I'm planning on shooting Tmax 400 during the day and Neopan 1600, possibly @ 3200 in the evening and swapping the rolls in the body as required.

All went well until I packed the Canon bodies and their lenses today. Jeez, my camera bag was so heavy. There was no way that I could carry that around Paris all day including to the top of the Arc de Triomphe (I do need to work on my fitness ) so its back to Plan A which is Canon 7D & K1000 during the day and Canon 7D & ME Super in the evening. I'll take my Pentax 28mm, 50mm and 135mm primes and they hardly weigh anything. I only have to carry one film body about at any one time and you wouldn't believe how lighter the bag felt after taking the Canon film rig out and putting the ME Super in. I will have to work around the fact that the ME Super doesn't do ISO 3200 but it underexposes by 2/3 of a stop anyway so its not a big problem.

Can't wait to get shooting in Paris again.
Yeah I've learnt that taking too much equipment while walking around all day in the heat, does not make a fun experience. I sometimes leave most of my gear in the hotel safe and just take one film body/lens/Eveready case in a small backpack when I go out for a long day. This makes photography/sightseeing much more enjoyable.

Enjoy your trip to France.

Phil.
08-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Went to Paris with my EOS3 a few years ago and put the 16-35L to good use mostly on the wide side.

08-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Went to Paris with my EOS3 a few years ago and put the 16-35L to good use mostly on the wide side.
But your photo says it all Les. Look at the size of the EOS 3 compared to the MX and that's with a small lens on the EOS 3. I do love my EOS 3 but there are times when it has to stay at home