Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which body?

Can some please advise which film bodies will work with lenses that I own for Pentax dslr?

I have both new dslr lenses as well as several older lenses some fully manual, some A type.

I was thinking about going back to b/w film for portraiture and have been looking at other brands but I should be sensible and look at Pentax first given I have lenses to hand.

I was looking for ideally a waist level operated camera like a broncia sq-a like I used to have.

Thanks in advance

08-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well no waist level medium format like the bronica will let you use the lenses you own.
the LX has a waist level option, but will not operate any lenses that have no aperture ring
the PZ1 will give you full control of all your lenses in a pro level film body, so will the MZS. (there are a number of other PZ and MZ bodies as well that will allow use of DA lenses)
08-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the PZ1 will give you full control of all your lenses in a pro level film body, so will the MZS. (there are a number of other PZ and MZ bodies as well that will allow use of DA lenses)
Sorry, the MZ-S doesn't allow specific in-body control of aperture in lenses without a ring. I'll add a second vote for the PZ-1/PZ-1P, as it will work great with new and old lenses.

If you want a camera body that controls all newer lenses without an aperture ring, take a look in this thread where a list was put together for all Pentax bodies allowing this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/154087-apertur...ml#post1958392.

Not all cameras on that list would be recommended though. If you don't care too much about using your newer lenses there are some great cameras before that time. Do you want an AF film body or MF for your A lenses? The MZ-S is a very nice AF body that would work with your A lenses in MF. For manual focus bodies I'd recommend the MX, K2 DMD, or LX with waist-level finder. Other options that wouldn't cost much would be the ME Super or Super Program, with only the last option working with lenses in A mode.
08-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Sorry, the MZ-S doesn't allow specific in-body control of aperture in lenses without a ring. I'll add a second vote for the PZ-1/PZ-1P, as it will work great with new and old lenses.

If you want a camera body that controls all newer lenses without an aperture ring, take a look in this thread where a list was put together for all Pentax bodies allowing this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/154087-apertur...ml#post1958392.

Not all cameras on that list would be recommended though. If you don't care too much about using your newer lenses there are some great cameras before that time. Do you want an AF film body or MF for your A lenses? The MZ-S is a very nice AF body that would work with your A lenses in MF. For manual focus bodies I'd recommend the MX, K2 DMD, or LX with waist-level finder. Other options that wouldn't cost much would be the ME Super or Super Program, with only the last option working with lenses in A mode.
even the SF1 will controlyour new lenses but not full manual control, more a shutter priority thing. (I use my DA35 on an AF1, a little more complicated to get the aperture i want but not desperately so - and my old lenses are uncrippled

I thought the MZS gave aperture control form the body my bad

08-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

No problem. That is the only thing holding me back from getting the MZ-S. Of all my film bodies I don't currently have an AF one. I've owned both a MZ-50 and ZX-60, but quickly sold them as I thought they were garbage. Now I'm sort of looking for either a PZ-1P or possibly a *ist, although I hate that the latter doesn't work with pre A lenses at all. A PZ-1 also has an uncrippled mount I believe, which is a big positive.

So I either get the PZ-1 and retain full manual control, or I get the MZ-S and lose direct Av mode on A and newer lenses, or I get the *ist (the small size and features piqué my interest) and lose use of lenses older than the A series.
08-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I grabbed the sf1 because it was $18, but i am watching for a good cheap PZ! myself. it seems to cover all the bases well, and in fact i could likely dispose of a few bodies if i had it (keeping an m42 body for those lenses since they are somewhat crippled on a pz or sf lacking the focus assist in the vf - though the matte screen in my sf is so good i have no issues
08-22-2012, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I would go for a PZ-1 also. My only issue with the PZ-1 is it is so similar to my K10D that when I take a shot, I habitually stare at the camera back waiting for the image to appear! It really is a great camera. had mine for 20 years now.
08-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax lens/body compatability:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

MZ7 and MZ6 are viable, also most of the PZ series. I went for the PZ70 cos' it was going cheap, and love it. Would like to pick up a PZ1 as soon as I find a good one at the right price.

I also have an MX, a Super-A, and a P30n, but prefer the PZ70 to all because of the lens compatibility and the DSLR-like control of aperture/shutter speed. With a real pentaprism the PZ1 would be even better.

08-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Pentax lens/body compatability:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

MZ7 and MZ6 are viable, also most of the PZ series. I went for the PZ70 cos' it was going cheap, and love it. Would like to pick up a PZ1 as soon as I find a good one at the right price.

I also have an MX, a Super-A, and a P30n, but prefer the PZ70 to all because of the lens compatibility and the DSLR-like control of aperture/shutter speed. With a real pentaprism the PZ1 would be even better.
PZ1 uses pretty much the same Pentaprism my SF1 does, and i can tell you it is fantastic. even with a matte screen shooting my tak 55 1.8 and 50 1.4 i had no trouble hitting focus (and the focus confirm does not work on taks)
08-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't seem to find a table to compare the suggestions from you all is there a link anywhere on the forum ? and am I correct in assuming all the suggested bodies are 35mm?
thanks to all the responders to my original post.

Last edited by adwb; 08-23-2012 at 02:33 PM.