Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How to transplant hotshoe on K1000?

I have a K1000 that's missing the metal part of the hotshoe. I also have a late model Spotmatic. The hotshoe looks identical. How do I get the hotshoe off so that I can transplant it?

08-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is the hot shoe mounts are actually underneath the body, screwing up directly into the plate. I had this problem with my k7 and, unlike our Canon brothers and sisters that have separate plates screwed down into the shoe, you need to dismantle the body to perform this kind of surgery. Not for the faint of heart
08-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can find services manuals for Spotmatic and K1000 camera on Pentax-manuals.com
Pentax Manuals

Read the note about the password for the PDFs.
08-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Do you mean the metal grove piece that holds the flash or the finish plate or the entire mount plastic and metal and all?

09-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Do you mean the metal grove piece that holds the flash or the finish plate or the entire mount plastic and metal and all?
Same question here, I have a SPF and the small plastic piece broke, so I'd like to change it if possible. Is it truly accesible from underneath the top cover?
And while we're at it, there are also a couple of dents in the metal, how can I remove them?
09-01-2012, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Giveaway winner!

have you looked under the cover plate?

To remove, lift on the X side the two prong ends and when cleared from the edge, push backwards.
09-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

To remove, lift on the X side the two prong ends and when cleared from the edge, push backwards.
Wow, it's that simple, no disassembly required? Thanks!
09-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Update: I've done the thing, and I have to note that the hotshoe contact of the SPF is not the same as the SPII, and perhaps not the same as the K1000. So just beware.
And regarding the picture: Is that a dent in the out of focus area, near the speed dial? Mine has a dent in the exact same place, and I've seen one on ebay with that dent too, maybe they came dented from the factory!

09-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Is that a dent in the out of focus area, near the speed dial?

Yes, I've run across a few as such and it is the screw that seems to be high enough to poke the shell. I would wonder if the shell is crushed due to a little flash-bash. Common... I remember... in the 70s to 80s as if a fashion statement, having a zoom lens and a flash attached. The camera will most certainly be flash forward and lens down. I used to see that all the time.

My K1000 example is all metal shells and the little bump stamp that would have been the battery check on a KX.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-02-2012 at 05:51 AM.
09-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Common... I remember... in the 70s to 80s as if a fashion statement, having a zoom lens and a flash attached.
And maybe a mullet?

09-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
Giveaway winner!

Wow... getting a deja vu!

from ABBA to ZZ Top...
06-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #12

If I remove the four screws under hot shoe plate, as shown in picture above, will there be further screws where I am able to remove the plastic mount also, as this has been snapped and I have a spare k1000 for potential parts.
I am definitely not skilled enough to remove top plate but would really like to replace the plastic mount.

Thanks
06-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicNew Quote
If I remove the four screws under hot shoe plate, as shown in picture above, will there be further screws where I am able to remove the plastic mount also, as this has been snapped and I have a spare k1000 for potential parts.
I am definitely not skilled enough to remove top plate but would really like to replace the plastic mount.

Thanks
The same screws are likely to go all the way through both. May as well pull one and see how long it is.