Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Classic problem: what to keep and what to sell

My family of screwmount Pentax is growing so fast, that I must sell some of them so I won't go bankrupt I will list my current equipment, so you can get an idea what I'm talking about.

Bodies:
SP black, some problems regarding shutter and meter switch
SPII with shutter capping at 1/1000, otherwise clean and nice
SPF with some dents, not tested with film
SP1000 not film-tested

Lenses:
Helios 44M
SMC Takumar 55/1.8 without OAM*, loose distance scale
SMC Takumar 55/1.8 with OAM*, also has signs of loose distance scale
SMC Takumar 50/1.4 with OAM*, "in the works"
SMC Takumar 35/3.5 w/OAM*, slow aperture blades
SMC Takumar 200/4 w/OAM*
Super Takumar 28/3.5 (49mm version), stiff focus ring, dented filter thread

OAM = open aperture metering for SPF.

I received the SPF and SP1000 today, that's why they're not film tested.
The thing is that I already have a digital camera with which I take the majority of my pictures, so I wouldn't keep more than 1-2 Spotmatics - there's simply no reason to do so. If film were cheaper OR if I had better results at scanning, maybe I'd consider keeping them.
Thanks for reading.

08-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Don't get rid of that 200mm without giving it a good try.
08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I have not used any of your lenses, but for FL alone I'd keep the 28, 35, one 50 or 55 & the 200mm and sell the rest.

Phil.
08-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I ask my self the same question and I always come up with the same answer, keep them all.

I think I have every Pentax SLR that I have ever purchased. At last count with the Digital bodies I have 10 Pentax SLR's and 14 or so lenses. The thing is you will get little for them if you decide to sell and, if you are like me and love cameras, they make a nice collection and look great on display.

08-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry about the OP, I guess it was incomplete in the first place. The idea is that I haven't used the black SP in more than 9 months, in which timeframe I have mostly used the K-x, and only occasionally the SPII. I still didn't manage to finish the Ektar I put in 3 months ago. It's mostly a psychological thing: since I have digital, I can take as many pictures as I want, on film they need to be really "keepers". Although I carry the Spotmatic around in my "photo bag", I almost never use it.
As I said, yesterday I received another 2 bodies+lenses, the SP1000 with a 55/1.8 and the SPF with the 35/3.5. I know the 55mm optically, as I already had a copy, but I haven't got a good impression of the 35mm yet.
This is the "old guard", without the 2 newest acquisitions:

...forgot to mention about my brother's SV, but it's his, so that's another story.
So I think I don't use these film cameras enough to justify keeping more than one. But which one to sell? Of the two 55s, the one without OAM is in better shape cosmetically, while the other one is just a little more scratched (nothing major). It would make sense to pair it [the one with OAM, in "worse" condition] with the SPF (also with OAM), but then I'd like to keep the F and rather sell the 1000! But you know, it's like having a left and a right leg, and a left and right sock. You pair the left leg with the right sock and then you sell it!
08-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have not used any of your lenses, but for FL alone I'd keep the 28, 35, one 50 or 55 & the 200mm and sell the rest.

Phil.
I agree with Phil; keep the focal lengths you want and sell the rest, preferably the ones that cosmetically better. Same thin with the body, sell the one that you think you'll get the most from.
12-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #7

Sorry for butting in but instead of creating a new thread I will just keep this thread going !!!

So I have the same question, what to keep and what to sell.

I have a K1000, KX, MX, Rollei 35S and T and a Rolleicord Va.

I will definitely sell my K1000 with three lenses (M 50mm 1:2, Exakta 70-210mm, Tamron 80-250mm) for 75-80 Euros, is that a good price ? The two Rollei 35s I will and cannot sell because of sentimental value. Those two belonged to my dad who past away.
And the next question will be should I sell my MX or KX ? Which one would be a keeper. I recently done even a CLA from Eric. The reason why I want to sell one of these is because I also have a Rollei TLR which I use more often and instead of letting one of the two sit in the cupboard I would rather give/sell them away. I though about keeping the two but I somehow need the money for a Rolleinar and a hood for my Rollei.
Both are fine cameras and I love them and I think I will even regret selling one of those but I have to many film cameras !! I blame it on GAS !

Last edited by frogfroggy; 12-13-2012 at 05:44 PM.
12-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I'd agree that keeping the K1000 along with the MX or KX isn't necessary. My own preference is the MX, but I also have a KX and it is a nice camera - so it comes down to what fits you best, and what kind of lighting conditions you find most. I like the meter needle of the MX for outdoor brightness, but the MX LEDs are nice in dim light, where I find myself a lot. I also prefer the smaller size of the MX.
I envy your TLR - I'm still looking for the right deal on one.

12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you arepressed for money or by she who must be obeyed I would keep all of the lenses.
The 55/1,8 and the 50/1.4 are complementary
12-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Unless you arepressed for money or by she who must be obeyed I would keep all of the lenses.
The 55/1,8 and the 50/1.4 are complementary
I would keep all of the lenses. I use my M42 lenses on my K10d all the time, and all of those should be compatible with you Pentax DSLR with a simple adapter that allows infinity focus.

I would then keep the two best Spotmatics.

Honestly though, if I wasn't in need of immediate funds, I would hang on to all of them....
12-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #11

Yeah well I use the KX a little bit more than the MX. I like the heft of the camera and because I own K lenses they feel much more secure with the KX as well. Moreover I find that I shoot pictures in bright light situations, if I ever shoot at night I would use a lightmeter and a tripod (which I have to acquire someday) and I guess the TLR or even the KX is capable.

Btw the MX is in a better condition than the KX, so I think the MX has a higher value, I suppose.
12-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter

The KX has a mirror lock-up switch, the MX does not. Also the MX is too small for my taste, so the KX would be my choice.

Phil.
12-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm quite surprised that somebody brought this up again now. I have decided to part with the SP-F and the SP1000, the SMC Tak 55/1.8 with open-aperture metering, and the STak 28/3.5. No takers for them, yet, but my mind is already set. So basically sell whatever you like/use the least.