Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

MX "PASSED" Sticker

Received my MX today. Beautiful machine! Purchased on ebay. This camera looks and sounds brand new. I'm going to send it off to Eric for a checkup anyhow...I think. Question, not that it much matters, but how do you know if the little gold customs "PASSED" sticker is original? Mine has the sticker on it and it shows sufficient age to be original but there is an outline around the sticker that seems to indicate that the sticker has moved over the years from handling or there was another sticker on it originally or something. Any thoughts?

08-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm always surprised they stayed on at all. I doubt anyone would have bothered to have changed it. It has probably just slipped a little over time. K.
08-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's still on there, it's likely original: I think at the time MXes were made it would still be made of foil and have stamped 'JCII' on it somewhere. (Possibly not, the gold ovals kind of stoped meaning anything somewhere in the 80s but they still were there. )

It was also a bit of a silly superstition I grew up with that it was bad luck to actually be the one to deliberately remove one of those gold ovals, I doubt anyone would ever deliberately *add* one, though.
08-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
If it's still on there, it's likely original: I think at the time MXes were made it would still be made of foil and have stamped 'JCII' on it somewhere. (Possibly not, the gold ovals kind of stoped meaning anything somewhere in the 80s but they still were there. )

It was also a bit of a silly superstition I grew up with that it was bad luck to actually be the one to deliberately remove one of those gold ovals, I doubt anyone would ever deliberately *add* one, though.
Yeah, they're like mattress tags. Remove one and you're going to jail!

09-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Camera's sold in Japan don't have the sticker. Could've been purchased in Japan.
09-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Camera's sold in Japan don't have the sticker. Could've been purchased in Japan.
Someone should get into the business of making those.
Make a fortune
09-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does Eric do body re-paint? Such as removing scratches and stuff.