Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #1

What's my next step camera?

OK, recently I decided to get back into photography and purchased a K1000 locally. Had one in the past and wanted some simple to re-learn on, back to basics kinda thing.

I realized last night that I remember more than I realized and I'm already looking for more options. I'm not in a big hurry to purchase anything but I like to knock around local used photo stores / thrift stores / yard sales and Craigslist from time to time so I wanted to get everyone's take on what I should keep my eyes out for while my wife is looking for vintage concert t-shits. :-)

I'm not looking to start a collection of old cameras (although I know the bug can bite) I'm just looking for an upgrade from the K1000, more features, more options. A good solid camera the carry with me all the time.

I've looked online and here in the forums/reviews to try and narrow it down. I think this is the breakdown I've come up with would be the best options while sticking with 35mm manual focus cameras.

LX - best all around, expensive, sticky mirror syndrome, manual and Av mode, good reviews
MX - nice over all, good features, small, only manual, good reviews
K2 - Av mode, good features, maybe some build issues? Small like the MX
KX - nice over all, good features, large in size like the K1000, only manual, good reviews, good build quality
ME Super - Av mode, small, good features, weird shutter speed buttons

(Correct any of this info if it's incorrect)

I know when it comes to looking for or purchasing a camera any of these would be a good call. All great options.

I guess the question is if you had the option to pick one at a good price, which one would you select and why?

08-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
info looks good, you miss the often overlooked KM which can be had for a song and adds DFO preview over the K1000, not much of a bump but usually sells for less than the K1000 as well.

KX and MX are both super cameras and you could own one of each with drives for less than a good LX.
08-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When buying used make sure you have a dependable source and have a recourse if less then expected. I bought my LX from KEH in EX condition and it does not have any issues at all. Fortunately we have Eric to fix our Pentax!
The K2 is not small like the MX and doesn't show the aperture in the viewfinder.

If you don't like the push button controls of the ME series, you might consider the Ricoh XR-7.
08-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Manual: KX or MX
Auto/Program: ME Super, Super Program, Program Plus

The KX is very like the K1000 except with some extra features. A very nice camera, but perhaps too much like the K1000? The MX is smaller, bigger view finder, minus a couple of widgets the KX has, but as it is 'different' to the K1000 it might be a good choice.

I've never really warmed up to the ME Super, but there are a lot of people who like it. The Program Plus is a very solid little camera - you can use A, FA and DA lenses in program, and all K mount lenses with an aperture ring in aperture priority. The Super Program adds features, maybe the best being TTL flash and Tv priority AE.

08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #5

ME super is definitely an option; "auto" mode is very intuitive/handy (is what I always use) but still has a fully manual mode if you feel up to it ( push buttons only feel weird if you're used to a dial).
08-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm probably in the minority here but here's my 2c/
I've used,
K1000
K1000SE
KM
KX
K2
MX
ME
ME Super
SPII
SP-F
SV
H1

Of all those, the K2 is by far my favourite K mount. I'm not exactly certain why, but I always seem to want to use it more than my other cameras. I like having Av mode as well as M when you need it, I love the feel of the wind lever, I actually really like the ASA ring, and to me it seems like one of the most well built Pentax I've used. I shoot mostly slide film with it and I find the meter to be nearly uncannily accurate. Most of the time I just set the ASA to whatever ISO film I'm using, set the shutter dial to A, and shoot and rarely do I get poorly exposed slides. One reason I like the ASA ring is that when I need exposure compensation, I can just quickly change ISO and this gives me 1/3 stop compensation.

That being said, my next choice in K mount would probably be the KX. Both it and the MX are great cameras, but I prefer the larger bodied cameras.