Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax MX or LX?

Say you had an MX and LX, both CLA'd this year by Eric. Which would you get rid of and why?

I ask because I am thinking casually of thinning my heard and getting rid of one of these beauties. I am scared to death I'll regret it once I'm done so I may not go through with it though.

08-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

I own two MX bodies and three LX bodies... I have as much a heard time with all of them.

I suggest that you look at your shooting habits to see which fit the best.

LX is great for Automatic shots, system accessories, weather resistance/dust proofing, a champ of the low light shooting... not so greats are the sometimes battery dependancy, "sticky" problems over time.

MX is great because its all mechanical and can be used without batteries, lighter weight, durable, some system accessories...the not so greats are the fewer and more rare the accessories, no mirror lock-up, not sealed.
08-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say keep them both!
08-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I'll regret it
Agreed.

Chris

08-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
MJL
Site Supporter

Dump the LX!

I dump my LX with no regret & treasure the older MX. Check out my "LX experience" at the Pentax Camera Reviews section.
08-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

I got an MX, then an LX, then the LX was stolen, so I bought another one, then I was about to get a black MX but was overbid at the last minute ...long story short, I wouldn't part with either (in fact, the more, the merrier).
08-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both, and I would try very hard to keep both. But if push comes to shove then I would let the MX go.
08-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd hate to part with either one, honestly. Each have their strengths and weaknesses that I adore. I love the MX's small size, wonderful shutter sound, and totally mechanical design. I love the LX's viewfinder, accessories (winder especially at times), automatic mode, and amazing metering.

I think a problem with selling any equipment to me is the idea of later regret. I regretted selling my Mamiya m645 system after it was gone.

Once it cools off I'll get more use out of both of these cameras and my 4x5. Looking forward to shooting some 4x5 Foma 100 and Type 55 soon.