Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm starting the see the appeal.

First off let me say that Hilo was correct, part of my issue with the metering was the fact that the batts were basically dead. They'd put out enough juice to confuse me and cause crazyness with the dots. I took it to a local used camera store and got some new batts, I also switched the viewfinder, it had a FB1, I put on a FA1.

After shooting a few rolls with it the camera is a very elegant solution. It even looks elegant when I sit it next to the others.

I'm still having to get use to the metering, I'm not sure if I've really got it down yet.

One question, Automatic Mode (aka Aperture Priority) either doesn't work, or I'm doing it wrong. Anytime I set it to Auto, set the aperture and press the shutter release the mirror pops up, but never comes down.

It doesn't stick in the way of "Sticky Mirror Syndrome" It works fine in everything but Auto... any ideas?

To get the mirror to drop I have to switch the SS knob off of Auto.

Gonna give it some more time before I make the call if I want to buy it from my buddy.

09-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The camera is faulty. The only other time the mirror doesn't come down is in MLU(press the button below the self-timer and push the lever to the left and release the button).
09-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
One question, Automatic Mode (aka Aperture Priority) either doesn't work, or I'm doing it wrong. Anytime I set it to Auto, set the aperture and press the shutter release the mirror pops up, but never comes down.

It doesn't stick in the way of "Sticky Mirror Syndrome" It works fine in everything but Auto... any ideas?

To get the mirror to drop I have to switch the SS knob off of Auto.
Half press the shutter in auto mode, make sure the LED indicates a shutter speed of 1/30th or higher, then complete the shutter to fire and it should close and open the shutter relatively fast. If the camera shutter fires appropriately then you're golden.

One of the the reasons the mirror may appear to lock-up could be due to the camera metering a long exposure. Switching it from A to manual bypasses this and triggers it at 1/2000 which quickly completes the exposure.
09-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I was thinking the same thing, but he says it never comes down. Maybe he's not waiting long enough...or he has the lens cap on...(:^)~

09-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #20

I would be surprised if this camera is broken. You are not the first who has trouble with starting up in auto mode. The two posters before me could be right. Open up the lens (aperture at 2, or 2.8) and shoot direction a light source (the sun, a lamp). And yes, the lenscap, take it off . Make sure the ASA is set at a normal value (125 to 400 ASA). Batteries in with the plus side up? Sorry, just making sure . . .

Which lens are you using anyway?
09-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #21

Original Poster
I think it's fine. I followed everyones advice, step by step and it keeps firing with no issues. Of course now that I'm trying to I can't replicate the problem. The camera is in great shape and my friend says it had a CLA maybe a year ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the cause, I'm still learning to use the LX but overall I like it, if a camera could be buttery smooth this would be it.

I'm going to make him an offer on the LX and the Nikon FE, now I just have to give some of these other bodies a try.
09-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #22

Original Poster
I read over the manual again, very carefully this time. I found the issue...

"IMPORTANT: Should you accidentally press the shutter release with the lens cap on or in the dark while the shutter dial is set to "Automatic," an excessively long exposure will result. To re-set the camera, move the dial to one of the manual speed settings and return it to the "Automatic" position before resuming shooting."

It's very likely that I was sitting at my desk, with the camera pointing into the dark void under my desk, causing it to think a 10 min exposure was needed.
09-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
Pentaxian

With the LX, you remove the lens cap or point it to an appropriate lightsource and it will change exposure time - in this case shorten it, since it monitors the scene in realtime until a "proper exposure" is met. The LX can aperture priority auto expose a scene hours long.

With the Nikons on your list, the meter determines the exposure at the time the shutter is fired and will stay the course regardless of light changes in the scene. That's why on the Nikon F3, with a fresh roll of film, the shutter is automatically set by the camera at a predetermined shutter speed until the frame count is 1. This is supposed to allow you to advance the film to frame one without the hassle of accidentally metering an extra long scene - such as if you had the lens cap while on auto.

09-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #24

Original Poster
It all makes sense now, it was just me not knowing what I was doing that was causing the issue.
Hopefully the more I learn the fewer stupid things I'll do.
09-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Coming from a much more current bodies, you would think the LX - and others of the era, were so simple, but I also missed a few things. I was using my LX (incorrectly) for awhile when I read how to properly load it with a roll of film by inserting leading edge into the "magic finger" about 1/4 to 1/2 inch so that it won't unspool. Before that I used to just carefully set it on the groove and very carefully wind the film so that it would not unspool!
09-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the cause, I'm still learning to use the LX but overall I like it, if a camera could be buttery smooth this would be it.

I'm going to make him an offer on the LX and the Nikon FE, now I just have to give some of these other bodies a try.
Nikon FE? Fuggedaboutit! Go first class! Go LX!

Buttery smooth...a little story on my self. Some years ago before I bought the winder I was shooting away, marvelling at the ball-bearing (truly!) smoothness of the LX's film advance. When I hit way over 36 exposures...Yep, I hadn't loaded the camera! DOH!
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Pentax had the best and easiest film loading routine.
09-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Send a PM and I'll give you my email on where to send my fee. I take PayPal too.
09-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Pentax had the best and easiest film loading routine.
Um, even as a LX owner, I'd give that honor to the old Praktica LTL I have. Just lay the film tongue with the end under a little tab and just over the takeup spool, work the advance, and a little wire bail on the takeup spool catches the film and starts the wind on the spool. Worked every time. East German engineering at its finest!
09-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #30
Pentaxian

C'mon,

You know the routine. stick film leader securely between magic fingers, advance once to get extra frames before zero and close back.,