Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Canon introduced their QL - Quickload, feature back in 1965. Now that I know how the magic fingers work, I can load my LX (as well as MX and ME Super) in complete darkness and get up to 40 frames from a 36 exposure roll.

09-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

The odd thing is I don't really like the magic fingers thing, I much prefer the older system on the SP1000.

I'm always paranoid with my ME that the fingers won't hold and the film won't wind on. (I need to very carefully advance the first couple of frames to make 100% that it's on correctly)
09-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #33
Pentaxian

You don't have to be careful about it at all. You simply insert the film in there at least 1/4 - 1/2 inch in and you're set. I believe you can push it in there even more if you are paranoid.
09-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
You don't have to be careful about it at all. You simply insert the film in there at least 1/4 - 1/2 inch in and you're set. I believe you can push it in there even more if you are paranoid.
In the beginning I was not comfortable at all with the magic fingers but to be honest, once I learned how to use them, this is one of the only 35mm cameras I own where I have never had a missed load. Les is right, it is a very reliable system and very easy to use, night or day.

09-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It was even praised by the mags of the time and is patented.
09-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing what will eventually surface in one's memory! "Magic fingers" was the moniker of an electric massaging mattress of many years ago! I think Pentax called their takeup spool Magic Needles.
09-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Bwahahaha! We're getting old.

09-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #38
Pentaxian

That's what they say is the first thing to go . . .
09-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
It all makes sense now, it was just me not knowing what I was doing that was causing the issue.
Hopefully the more I learn the fewer stupid things I'll do.
If you're anything like me, you'll just be stupid on different, more innovative levels

For instance, not knowing how to even load film into your new 4x5 view camera.

Last edited by unixrevolution; 09-14-2012 at 07:49 AM.
09-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Bwahahaha! We're getting old.
Beats the alternative, doncha think?
09-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Growing up all over again?
09-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just make sure that the sprockets are engaged top and bottom and all will be good. The sprockets are the actual drive mechanism.

Steve
09-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
For instance, not knowing how to even load film into your new 4x5 view camera.
...you don't...

Steve
09-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Thanks for the correction on number 2.

I should also further qualify that although I've tested quite a few cameras in search for the LX's unique long duration metering, I only managed to test a few models and have not accounted for all models and variations. If there is another camera out there - from any manufacturer, that embodies the seemingly unique capabilities of the LX, I am not aware of it!
The original patent for OTF is Minolta's, by the way. Olympus used it first and Pentax implemented it extremely well.

Ben
09-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
One question, Automatic Mode (aka Aperture Priority) either doesn't work, or I'm doing it wrong. Anytime I set it to Auto, set the aperture and press the shutter release the mirror pops up, but never comes down.

It doesn't stick in the way of "Sticky Mirror Syndrome" It works fine in everything but Auto... any ideas?

To get the mirror to drop I have to switch the SS knob off of Auto.

Gonna give it some more time before I make the call if I want to buy it from my buddy.
Locking up the mirror is usually a sign of a low battery capacity. I think, that is even included in the manual somewhere.
If the mirror drops down, when you switch Auto off, it probably isn't the sticky mirror syndrome, because that is independent of the shooting mode...
Very long exposure times in Auto-mode do happen, by the way, if there is no film loaded, as the metering takes its reading then off the black pressure plate during exposure.
This OTF metering always led to confusing results, when I attached the LX to a shutter speed measuring device: all the short times (reading off the printed first shutter curtain) were fine, and the longer speeds (reading off the pressure plate) were way off. That confused a couple of engineers, but I never told them the reason and left them confused...

Ben