Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the 50/1.4 is worth it. i have both. the 50/2's OOF area is scatter-shot and harsh in the larger apertures. the 50/1.4 OOF is silken, lovely for close people photos ...

09-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.box.com/s/ngntx2kr44r8456puu26
SMC PENTAX-A 1:2 50mm wide open in the dark.
09-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No question there. In regards to "A" vs. "M". It is good to consider the difference in build quality, particularly when shooting on the ME Super. The Pentax-A 50/1.7 is mostly plastic and many (most??? all???) have a cranky or inoperable aperture ring. This is death on a camera that requires a working aperture ring.

Steve
The A series is solid by modern AF lens standards, but it's no M or Tak. My A 50 has a very dodgy aperture ring too and it doesn't get used on film for that reason, I only use it in the A setting on my K200D.
09-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Exactly !!

And add to this the pleasure of photographing analog . . .

Re the original post and the possible lenses: as you see, we will all come with different ideas. I suggest you visit a shop that has second hand Pentax lenses and you try them on your camera. ALL Pentax lenses are fine, including your 50/2 (I make 50/60cm - 20/24 - b&w fiber prints from negatives done with that lens, it is totally ok). The lensmakers like us believe that 1.4 and 1.2 is better. Yes, it is better for their bankaccount. When you try a lens on your camera, it is only then that you will find out if it suits you. Personally I find the ME Super and a lens with the size of a 50/2 the perfect match. It is a small and not intimidating combination.

Finally, do not forget to think about M42 lenses, Pentax and non Pentax. Ok, metering is a bit different, but for instance used wide open one can shoot fine in automatic or manual mode - as fast as ever. Sample image of my recent adventures attached . . .
I agree with this. I have all these versions, and there is nothing wrong with the f2.0. I suppose that because it was cheaper to build a smaller glass, people think the glass is lacking.This was taken with a Taiwanese made Mf2.0 at 1/15 sec f5.6. I just am unable to upload a picture at f2 from my computer no matter how small I make the pictures, so here is one from Flicker.