Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Simple question re: Daylight film

Simple question here.

I'm going to attempt to take a nice sunset image after work on my ME, it's currently loaded with Fuji Superia 200asa which is a daylight film.

How will this affect the sunset colours? will the colours shown on the developed film be approximately what my eye will be seeing? or will the sunlight rating of the film tend to reduce the colours visible?

I've not done any sunset photography before, and I've certainly not tried on film. I just want an idea of what I might end up with.

Thanks.

09-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Daylight film is best to retain the orange sunset colours. If the print is not the right colour, simply get it reprinted with the corrected (or enhanced, if you wish) colours.
09-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Canada.

I said it was a simple question, answered in one!
09-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would like to expand a bit on Albert's explanation: You often will get a "colour corrected" print from an automated printer with these sunset shots. The printer will analyse the negative as having excessive reds and try to get a neutral print, if the operator does not prevent this correction. So, write a note on the bag, when you hand over the film and ask them, not to correct the reds.

Ben

09-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A simple rule would be to use daylight film when the light source is the sun. This is true in the morning, in the evening, and anytime in between. Ditto for moonlight (reflected sunlight). Use tungsten-balanced film when the light source is incandescent (tungsten filament) bulbs. If you are shooting under fluorescent...tough luck...

Steve
09-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

If you also plan to shoot in the evening before the sun starts going down, a Morning & Evening (82A) filter is recommended. It's slightly blue and removes the yellow/reddish effect you can get when using colour daylight film at that time of day. Pentax used to make one for 35mm and 6x7.

Phil.