Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

ME super problem

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help.

I've recently bought an ME super. I haven't used a film SLR before, and don't know much about them, but it seemed like everything was in working order. In particular, the lights for the light meter all seemed to be working, and behaving as they should.

However, yesterday, they suddenly stopped working. So I assumed the battery had simply ran out, so I took it to a shop and got some replacement batteries. With the new batteries, the lights seemed to light up once, for about a second. Since then, however, I haven't been able to get the lights working.

If anyone has any ideas about what the problem could be, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

09-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thirty year old electronics? With a camera that old who knows.
09-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
make sure the switch is not possitioned at "L"

The ME super has a lock because every time you half press the shutter button the light meter turns on. Unlike the K1000 or similar, where the light meter will suck the batteries if there is no cap on, the ME super will burn batteries with a cap on if its been fiddled with. I suspect that if you depress the little white button and rotate the switch counter-clockwise to the Auto setting you'll be back in action.
09-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
However, yesterday, they suddenly stopped working. So I assumed the battery had simply ran out, so I took it to a shop and got some replacement batteries. With the new batteries, the lights seemed to light up once, for about a second. Since then, however, I haven't been able to get the lights working.
There are a few areas were a certain amount of friction contact is required to make an electrical connection.
Firstly, check to make sure the selector dial is not loose. A spanner ring holds that down and a sizable wobble will not help matters.
Secondly, the upper shell should not be loose... due to missing screws or damage. A set of blade contacts are hidden just behind about where the "ME Super" name is located and any trauma will render that dodgy.
Lastly, as boriscleto hints, over time the camera will have oxidation and decay of certain components. A good CLA (clean-lube-adjust) may be in order. Few ME Super bodies survive this long without some sort of cleaning.

09-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. It isn't in L, and nothing seems loose. Will see how much it costs for a repair/clean. Thanks.
09-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an ME Super at home that I haven't really used in 20 years. I pick it up every now and again and run it through it's paces simply because I like the feel of it in my hand, and the sound of the shutter firing etc... I am equally amazed to find that the light meter is still alive after all these years. What a great little camera.
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience from using ME Super for several years in the early eighties:

Effects as you describe were caused by

1) Bad contact at the selector dial, as MysteryOnion was posting
2) Bad contact/dirt at the ISO/EV wheel (rotate it several times all the way and look if there is some temporary change in behaviour)
3) History of battery leaks some time in the past; it is difficult to get a permanent fix for problems caused by eroded contacts.

If it is one of these, chances are a permanent fix will need a (partly) disassembled body --> CLA.

09-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just in case you don't have a manual:
to rotate the ISO wheel with the ME or ME Super as suggested in my previous post, you have to lift it up by 1 mm.

As the EV selector is mechanically interacting with the ISO wheel, try to move this, too. Be aware that possible movement of the EV gets limited if the ISO setting is in an end position or one step away.