Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need help loading film in Pentax MX.

I've never loaded film into a SLR before, I just recently bought two Pentax MX bodies along with a m 50 1.7 lens.

I watched this video just now and it tells me just how to, but the real question about this thread is how dark does the room need to be? I see that he loaded film into a fully lit room. Also do I advance the film until it says 0 or 1 on the MX?

09-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
They always say to load in "subdued" light. So if I'm out in daylight loading film, I'd try to do it in a shadow. That's about all the precaution necessary.

You can try shooting frame 0, or even the frame before that, frame 00. If you're very careful not to pull out a lot of film leader when loading, you might get something on 00.

But frame 1 should always be shoot-able.

I didn't watch the video you posted, but I'm astounded something so simple was dragged out into a 3 minute 20 second video. Just load and go...
09-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, you made it sound easy which made me give it a go, it was pretty easy =P

Does anybody know if that if I start shooting at 1, what number does the film end at? I bought this film right here, Kodak TX 135-36 Tri-X Pan Black & White Print Film 8667073 Also what happens if I overshoot by overwinding the film? Will it break?

Last edited by LeDave; 09-17-2012 at 05:01 PM.
09-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually load film so that both sides are just started on the sprockets (very important to make sure sprockets are in sprocket holes) then I close back, do 2 waste shots, then you should be ready to shoot.
I usually get 37, maybe 38 frames.

09-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

With the MX's magic needles, you insert the film leader into it about 1/4 - 1/4 inch and you will have no issue of it coming off. I typically start at "0" and typically get 38 useful frames out of a 36 exposure roll. Once you get used to the MX, you can load it in complete darkness and get a couple more frames.

At the end of the film, you will feel it become very hard to advance. With these metal cameras, you will be able to rip it off the spool if you force it.
09-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
At the end of the film, you will feel it become very hard to advance. With these metal cameras, you will be able to rip it off the spool if you force it.
How do I know I am at the end?
09-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For a 36exp, anywhere after the 36 frame. You will clearly feel that it will no longer advance freely.

09-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to film, LeDave! You will love it. At the end it just stops cranking, then you rewind. No one said this, but generally after you get wound to the first frame you back wind a bit with the rewind knob just a little until it feels tight. That lets you know you really engaged the film leader too. I don't know, maybe I learned wrong, but I've done that for decades. The MX is new to me, but I've done that with every other film camera I ever owned. Enjoy! David
09-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, since the MX is so small you can often get 37 or 38 exposures. But.... The archivally safe three ring binder pages accomodate either 7 strips of 5 frames each, or 6 strips of 6 frames each, my personal preference. If you shoot 38 frames, what to do with the extra 2 or 3 frames?

As far as "overwinding," I suppose you could, but the resistance at the end of the roll is so pronounced its pretty unlikely. Just remember the first rule of camera use: NEVER FORCE ANYTHING!

The MX is a delightful camera! Keep your eyes out for a winder. 2 frames per second switchable to single shot, and it adds just enough bulk and heft to the camera to make it just right, at least for me.

BTW, the real Achilles heel of the winder is the little screw which holds the battery compartment shut. Make sure it is there and still works. A design flaw by Pentax, the ME winder battery tray is much better, but the two winders aren't interchangeable.

Get out there and shoot and enjoy!
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use the 35-7BXW which holds 7 strips of 6 frames -> Archival photo storage supplies and products, archival boxes, acid free albums - Search
09-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help you guys, I think I got it all set now. Feel like I'm a avid film shooter after reading all this.
09-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
As far as "overwinding," I suppose you could, but the resistance at the end of the roll is so pronounced its pretty unlikely.
Ha! Ha! I don't know how many times I have stripped the sprocket holes (film shards in body...shudder) trying to get that one last shot

Steve
09-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! I don't know how many times I have stripped the sprocket holes (film shards in body...shudder) trying to get that one last shot

Steve
Naughty naughty! Remember the prime directive for camera usage: NEVER FORCE ANYTHING!
09-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you know how to get the roll out?

Download the instruction manual from the Pentax website -
Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA
09-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Here's a clean, color copy of the MX manual: http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Pentax_MXL.pdf