Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

tightening film on pentax mx

Hello. I've recently bought a pentax mx as my first slr. my question is, what is the norm when you tighten the film using the film rewind knob? does it usually make that eerie squeaky sound when turned in the direction of the arrow (with a film loaded inside)? can someone post me a video of what usually happens when you tighten a film on a pentax mx? please and tq

09-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd say this is normal, but it also depends on the film, some "squeak" more than others. If the knob spins when you advance the film, all is good.
09-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
This is sort of the long version...

While shooting pictures: when advancing film with the lever, you may notice the rewind knob going in the opposite direction to the arrow printed on the rewind knob. In some cases the rewind knob will sluggishly unwind the film as the picture taking progresses and this is normal. If the film is too tight on in the cartridge, you may notice extra effort is needed to advance the film with the lever.
You may assist the unwinding of the film by adding a turn or so opposite to the arrow printed on the rewind knob. Never overly unwind the knob as with some well used cameras that the extra turns opposite to the arrow may actually cause the knob to fall off.

When you've reached the end... 24 or 36 exposures: After pressing the rewind release button located on the bottom of the camera, you may be able to continuously crank the rewind knob in the direction of the arrow printed on it. In some cases, if you are at mid advance on the lever, you may need to hold the rewind release button for a few cranks to allow it to engage fully. A crinkle sound may be heard while rewinding, but that is normal... however, high effort and crackle sounds are not normal and cranking should stop until you have made certain the rewind release button is correctly engaged. When you have reached the end, effort may increase and even progress will stop. This may indicate that the creased tip end of the film leader is hung-up on the magic-needle or the lip of the pressure plate, but this is normal and you may stop and open the film door or gently continue until the film is completely retracted inside the cartridge.
09-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hytheriousme Quote
Hello. I've recently bought a pentax mx as my first slr.
Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of film. The MX is my favorite Pentax SLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by hytheriousme Quote
what is the norm when you tighten the film using the film rewind knob?
For me tightening is not the norm. In fact I've never in 20 years of shooting film had to tighten film. Loaded properly and by not pulling too much out of the canister when loading the camera, the film should rest against the film rails above and below the shutter curtains. When you wind the film the first time the sprockets should take hold of the film and tighten it before closing the back cover.

09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
For me tightening is not the norm. In fact I've never in 20 years of shooting film had to tighten film. Loaded properly and by not pulling too much out of the canister when loading the camera, the film should rest against the film rails above and below the shutter curtains.
What he said. The film is held flat at the film plane by the pressure plate on the door and the film rails.

Steve
09-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Agreed - no need to "tighten" the film in use, and it may cause damage like torn sprocket holes. The film can't move backwards into the cartridge with the sprockets engaged and locked, so the "squeeking" you hear is the layers of film in the cartridge moving against each other as slack in the cartridge itself is taken up, like winding a watch spring.
Now if by "tightening" you mean rewinding after exposing the whole roll and pushing the rewind button on the bottom, then - yes you may hear some squeeking as the film rewinds.
09-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree that tightening is not really needed, but I do it when I insert the film, just to be sure that the knob rotates if the film is correctly inserted and doesn't rotate otherwise. If it isn't tight, you can't really be sure.
09-21-2012, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Checking is for cautious types. It's more exciting to see if it will count up to frame 42.

09-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After I load the film and close the door I usually wind it up till I feel resistance (a squeak is too much ). I don't extend the crank as you don't need that much torque. The only reason I do it is because then when you advance it, it starts immediately turning the rewind crank before it even gets to the first frame which tells me that its loaded properly and hasn't popped out of the winder. I also load the film into the winder in a certain anal way that allows me to always use exposure 0 on my K1000 though my Super Program wont work until it reads 1 (never figured out why they thought they needed that safety feature).