Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
If the wind is strong enough to shake the short release enough to disturb the exposure, it is also strong enough to vibrate your tripod. And a long release has more surface area for the wind to grab.
I sure agree with this.

I have only once owned a long cable (probably about a meter), and it was not that great. It is, in fact, the only mechanical shtter release cable I've ever had that broke.

I've never had a problem with shorter cables (~ 20cm), and my wife and I have used several of those when shooting star trails out in the Flint Hills of Kansas (i.e., where it can get kind of breezy.

09-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Forum Member

I bought a bulb off ebay and it is completely useless.

I also bought a mechanical release from a store here but it didn't screw into the jack properly.. I'm using a Pentax Super Program and K1000... anyone know what the deal is? Was there a different thread type on older film SLR's? I need a new cable but I'm wary of buying another useless piece of crapola on the bay..
09-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Most cable releases have a tapered thread and the pitch has been pretty much standard since I have been taking photos. My cable releases fit everything I own back to the late 1950s including several former-Soviet rangefinder cameras and my Super Program.

Steve
09-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Most cable releases have a tapered thread and the pitch has been pretty much standard since I have been taking photos. My cable releases fit everything I own back to the late 1950s including several former-Soviet rangefinder cameras and my Super Program.

Steve
I thought this was the case hence my surprise that the cable wouldn't seat properly.

I'm going to dig that out and see what's what..

thanks Steve

09-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by poppaneedsanap Quote
I bought a bulb off ebay and it is completely useless.

I also bought a mechanical release from a store here but it didn't screw into the jack properly.. I'm using a Pentax Super Program and K1000... anyone know what the deal is? Was there a different thread type on older film SLR's? I need a new cable but I'm wary of buying another useless piece of crapola on the bay..
What does the end look like on the cable release?.
I use a Soligor 36" release with side locking screw (bought it in mid 80`s), fits both Program plus and Super program just fine.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
09-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
Forum Member

The tip was conical but the thread seemed coarser.. if I remember correctly..
it was also in the sales bin so who knows.. I'm going to see if I can find this thing again..
09-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I seem to recall reading that there were two competing sizes - at least at one point. Most of the manufacturers standardized on the smaller sized conical thread.

What I would like to find is a source for the female half of this combination.