Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
Thanks for all the input. Helps me start to narrow it down.

Selecting lenses going forward is tough. With so many options and so many different variations it's hard to decide which ones are really worth buying due to quality and which ones you would really get use out of on a daily basis.
My suggestion - cover the most used range first - that's one reason why so many of us said to keep the 28-105. You will probably want something that gets closer to 200mm too. Then, pay attention to the focal lengths you actually use to guide your future purchase. Once you have found the range, then look for lens in that range and use the reviews on this site to help you finalize your plans.

For example, I'm shooting mostly digital these days and using the 18-55 zoom. However, I notice that a lot of my shots are taken in the 30-35mm range. In other words, really close to 50mm if I were shooting film. Knowing this, I plan to keep my eyes open for a good 30-35mm prime when I can afford it. I also find myself taking shots of details consistently close to 300mm on my 55-300 zoom. It almost doesn't pay to own a tele-zoom. In short, I could probably do 75% of my shots with two primes, carry no more gear than I now do, and improve my image quality

09-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
My suggestion - cover the most used range first - that's one reason why so many of us said to keep the 28-105. You will probably want something that gets closer to 200mm too. Then, pay attention to the focal lengths you actually use to guide your future purchase. Once you have found the range, then look for lens in that range and use the reviews on this site to help you finalize your plans.

For example, I'm shooting mostly digital these days and using the 18-55 zoom. However, I notice that a lot of my shots are taken in the 30-35mm range. In other words, really close to 50mm if I were shooting film. Knowing this, I plan to keep my eyes open for a good 30-35mm prime when I can afford it. I also find myself taking shots of details consistently close to 300mm on my 55-300 zoom. It almost doesn't pay to own a tele-zoom. In short, I could probably do 75% of my shots with two primes, carry no more gear than I now do, and improve my image quality
Ha, you say it, but come to a different conclusion: as I said before I would just go for the 50mm. A fixed focal length never gives you any confusion: if you are too far, you go closer . . . if you are too close you take a step back. For someone who begins it is not a bad idea to work with one fixed focal length lens first, you will come to understand it quite well because there won't be many changing parameters. And you know what, you may never want another focal length, there are plenty of photographers (some very famous ones too) who just stayed with that first 50mm lens.
09-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Ha, you say it, but come to a different conclusion: as I said before I would just go for the 50mm.
I'll politely disagree with your thoughts as being outdated. What you say was true when I first got into more advanced photography. Zoom lenses were very expensive and only available on advanced cameras. Learning how to compose using a zoom lens along with all the exposure controls would have been a challenge.

For more than a dozen years it has been hard to find an entry level camera that doesn't have a zoom lens. Many photographers moving into more advanced equipment have used zoom lenses their entire photographic experience. Taking away that familiarity will more likely frustrate them than help them learn the benefits of using a prime lens. Once they get comfortable with the other camera controls and determine if they tend to use certain focal lengths more than others, that's the time to look at prime lenses.

For the record, my favorite cameras were manufactured in the 1920's through the 1950's. I love doing my own wet chemistry darkroom work, including manipulating my prints with dodging and burning (the original HDR photography). But you also have to know when to adapt to new techniques.
09-28-2012, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Hey, you see what happens? You ask a question and everyone comes forward with their own personal likes and dislikes. Someone likes 200mm. Someone else (me) says it's useless... too short for wildlife, too long for portraits. Someone likes zoom lenses. someone else (me again) says they are too slow to be practical and too heavy to get any joy out of photography (pro use is different, but we're not talking pro).

Basically, there is no point asking other people. Re-read Ron's post above -- he nailed it. Use what you have and decide what focal lengths you like.

Me, I can shoot just about anything with a few primes. To encompass the stellar FA Limited lenses, I might suggest 24 / 43 / 77 / 105 (macro).

09-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
BODIES
Pentax K1000
Pentax LX
Pentax PZ-1P
Pentax PZ-70
Pentax ZX-5N
Nikon FE
Nikon FE2

LENSES
Pentax SMC - M - 50mm 1:2
Pentax SMC - M - 80-200mm 1:4.5
Pentax SMC - M - 135mm 1:3.5
Takumar Bayonet - 80-200 1:4.5
Star-D - MC - 28mm 1:2.8

Pentax SMC - FA - 28-105mm 1:4-5.6
Pentax SMC - F - 35-80mm 1:4-5.6
Sigma Zoom - 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro
SCADjacket,

Of this group I'd keep the LX and the 135/3.5. Side question, have you listed the lenses you have to shoot with the Nikon? The AIS 28/2.8, 50/1.4, and 105/2.5 lenses would make a fantastic Nikon FE2 kit.
09-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Me, I can shoot just about anything with a few primes. To encompass the stellar FA Limited lenses, I might suggest 24 / 43 / 77 / 105 (macro).
Can I substitute the 90 (macro) for the 105? I agree, I have the 24, 43, 77 and 90 for my main prime setup. There are others, but those are the ones used most often.

To the OP, you've already bought them all. Use each one of them and get rid of what you don't use much, keep what you like.
10-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Can I substitute the 90 (macro) for the 105? I agree, I have the 24, 43, 77 and 90 for my main prime setup. There are others, but those are the ones used most often.
Sure.

Almost any macro in that sort of focal range will do. They are all more or less awesome.