Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
Thanks for all the input. Helps me start to narrow it down.

Selecting lenses going forward is tough. With so many options and so many different variations it's hard to decide which ones are really worth buying due to quality and which ones you would really get use out of on a daily basis.
My suggestion - cover the most used range first - that's one reason why so many of us said to keep the 28-105. You will probably want something that gets closer to 200mm too. Then, pay attention to the focal lengths you actually use to guide your future purchase. Once you have found the range, then look for lens in that range and use the reviews on this site to help you finalize your plans.

For example, I'm shooting mostly digital these days and using the 18-55 zoom. However, I notice that a lot of my shots are taken in the 30-35mm range. In other words, really close to 50mm if I were shooting film. Knowing this, I plan to keep my eyes open for a good 30-35mm prime when I can afford it. I also find myself taking shots of details consistently close to 300mm on my 55-300 zoom. It almost doesn't pay to own a tele-zoom. In short, I could probably do 75% of my shots with two primes, carry no more gear than I now do, and improve my image quality
.

09-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
My suggestion - cover the most used range first - that's one reason why so many of us said to keep the 28-105. You will probably want something that gets closer to 200mm too. Then, pay attention to the focal lengths you actually use to guide your future purchase. Once you have found the range, then look for lens in that range and use the reviews on this site to help you finalize your plans.

For example, I'm shooting mostly digital these days and using the 18-55 zoom. However, I notice that a lot of my shots are taken in the 30-35mm range. In other words, really close to 50mm if I were shooting film. Knowing this, I plan to keep my eyes open for a good 30-35mm prime when I can afford it. I also find myself taking shots of details consistently close to 300mm on my 55-300 zoom. It almost doesn't pay to own a tele-zoom. In short, I could probably do 75% of my shots with two primes, carry no more gear than I now do, and improve my image quality
.
Ha, you say it, but come to a different conclusion: as I said before I would just go for the 50mm. A fixed focal length never gives you any confusion: if you are too far, you go closer . . . if you are too close you take a step back. For someone who begins it is not a bad idea to work with one fixed focal length lens first, you will come to understand it quite well because there won't be many changing parameters. And you know what, you may never want another focal length, there are plenty of photographers (some very famous ones too) who just stayed with that first 50mm lens.
09-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Ha, you say it, but come to a different conclusion: as I said before I would just go for the 50mm.
I'll politely disagree with your thoughts as being outdated. What you say was true when I first got into more advanced photography. Zoom lenses were very expensive and only available on advanced cameras. Learning how to compose using a zoom lens along with all the exposure controls would have been a challenge.

For more than a dozen years it has been hard to find an entry level camera that doesn't have a zoom lens. Many photographers moving into more advanced equipment have used zoom lenses their entire photographic experience. Taking away that familiarity will more likely frustrate them than help them learn the benefits of using a prime lens. Once they get comfortable with the other camera controls and determine if they tend to use certain focal lengths more than others, that's the time to look at prime lenses.

For the record, my favorite cameras were manufactured in the 1920's through the 1950's. I love doing my own wet chemistry darkroom work, including manipulating my prints with dodging and burning (the original HDR photography). But you also have to know when to adapt to new techniques.
09-28-2012, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
Hey, you see what happens? You ask a question and everyone comes forward with their own personal likes and dislikes. Someone likes 200mm. Someone else (me) says it's useless... too short for wildlife, too long for portraits. Someone likes zoom lenses. someone else (me again) says they are too slow to be practical and too heavy to get any joy out of photography (pro use is different, but we're not talking pro).

Basically, there is no point asking other people. Re-read Ron's post above -- he nailed it. Use what you have and decide what focal lengths you like.

Me, I can shoot just about anything with a few primes. To encompass the stellar FA Limited lenses, I might suggest 24 / 43 / 77 / 105 (macro).

09-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Missouri
Posts: 429
QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
BODIES
Pentax K1000
Pentax LX
Pentax PZ-1P
Pentax PZ-70
Pentax ZX-5N
Nikon FE
Nikon FE2

LENSES
Pentax SMC - M - 50mm 1:2
Pentax SMC - M - 80-200mm 1:4.5
Pentax SMC - M - 135mm 1:3.5
Takumar Bayonet - 80-200 1:4.5
Star-D - MC - 28mm 1:2.8

Pentax SMC - FA - 28-105mm 1:4-5.6
Pentax SMC - F - 35-80mm 1:4-5.6
Sigma Zoom - 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro
SCADjacket,

Of this group I'd keep the LX and the 135/3.5. Side question, have you listed the lenses you have to shoot with the Nikon? The AIS 28/2.8, 50/1.4, and 105/2.5 lenses would make a fantastic Nikon FE2 kit.
09-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,642
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Me, I can shoot just about anything with a few primes. To encompass the stellar FA Limited lenses, I might suggest 24 / 43 / 77 / 105 (macro).
Can I substitute the 90 (macro) for the 105? I agree, I have the 24, 43, 77 and 90 for my main prime setup. There are others, but those are the ones used most often.

To the OP, you've already bought them all. Use each one of them and get rid of what you don't use much, keep what you like.
10-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Can I substitute the 90 (macro) for the 105? I agree, I have the 24, 43, 77 and 90 for my main prime setup. There are others, but those are the ones used most often.
Sure.

Almost any macro in that sort of focal range will do. They are all more or less awesome.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
fe, film, lenses, nikon, pentax, purchase, pz-70, smc, zx-5n
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50mm 1.2...to sell or not to sell? That is the question. RT1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 38 06-03-2013 04:13 PM
Vivitar extension tubes: To sell or not to sell? LowVoltage Photographic Technique 8 01-04-2011 12:26 PM
Film camera bodies - CLA then sell, or sell as is? SOldBear Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 10-27-2009 04:18 PM
Sell or not sell, that is the question Taff Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 10-06-2009 06:19 AM
To sell, or not to sell... that is the question. rpriedhorsky Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 06-02-2009 10:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top