Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #1

What to Keep - What to Sell

Some of you may recall in a previous thread that I recently ran into a deal where I could purchase a bunch of gear from a friend who was getting rid of all of his film equipment and going all digital.

Here is that thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/198643-if-you-...pick-list.html

I decided it was best to just purchase everything he was willing to sell and then decide what to keep.

Here is what I ended up with:

BODIES
Pentax K1000
Pentax LX
Pentax PZ-1P
Pentax PZ-70
Pentax ZX-5N
Nikon FE
Nikon FE2

LENSES
Pentax SMC - M - 50mm 1:2
Pentax SMC - M - 80-200mm 1:4.5
Pentax SMC - M - 135mm 1:3.5
Takumar Bayonet - 80-200 1:4.5
Star-D - MC - 28mm 1:2.8

Pentax SMC - FA - 28-105mm 1:4-5.6
Pentax SMC - F - 35-80mm 1:4-5.6
Sigma Zoom - 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro

------------

He had a ME-Super and K2 but they are both dead, he also kept the Nikon F3 just incase he ever got the urge to shoot film.

I know I'm keeping the K-1000, LX and FE2. I might keep the FE as well.

I'm probably going to sell the PZ-1P, PZ-70 and ZX-5N.

Any thought or suggestions? Which lenses do I keep? Should I keep the AF lenses to use on the MF cameras, if I can do that?

09-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as the AF lenses have an aperture ring, they are backwards compatible with the bodies. With the K-1000, LX you need to set the aperture with the aperture ring, and everything will work just fine.

Nice haul!
09-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If the FA 28-105 is this one:
SMC-Pentax FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
it's a pretty good lens.

The M135/3.5 is a very nice compact lens with a built in hood. Its a wee bit soft wide open but shapens up quickly and is a very nice small telephoto that is roughly 200mm equivalent. Nice lens.

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.
09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd get rid of all the zooms, since I have no use for them, especially when slow. Then I'd buy a better wide lens than the Star-D, maybe the FA* 24. The 50mm should be upgraded to the K 50/1.2. That would leave me with 24 / 50 / 135 which is all I'd need.

Not sure what you should do, because you likely have different priorities.

09-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
LX body and the FA28-105 (pz version) would stay at home, the rest would go. Have both, LX & FA28-105 power-zoom MIJ (most were MIT) and the very under-rated zoom is nice on digital as well.
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would only keep the three bodies you already plan to keep, well probably selling the K1000, so only the two. All the lenses I would sell and buy some nice primes for the money. Not sure what the Star-D lens is, but with a name like that I'd bet it's not in the same league as the Pentax star lenses :-)
09-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #7

Maybe a better way to ask this question is to tell what you intend to be, photographically speaking. Many people like to collect lenses and cameras to try them out. Others (like me for instance) swear by the LX and a simple 50mm (f1.7 or f2): a beautiful light and rather small combination. It is all I need. Obviously the rest of your list could go as far as I am concerned, but others will have different preferences, all valid. Perhaps you can be more precise in the original question.
09-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hilo, good point. Maybe I should be more clear.

The K-1000 I'll keep for sentimental reasons. I used a K-1000 in college that I had to sell later, so it will most likely just sit on a shelf and look pretty.

In terms of what I shoot, right now I like to shoot a lot of night/city and landscape shots. I usually shoot Velvia color slide or B&W. I'm sure soon I'll branch out a little more. It's completely a hobby, not professional.

What I'm looking for right now is to just put together a good kit for everyday use. Maybe 2 bodies and a few useful lenses to keep in my bag. I was thinking about loading one body with B&W film and the other with color slide. Right now I'm leaning towards the LX and FE2. I'm still trying to learn to use the LX.

I'm really confused as to which lenses are the most useful for which situations.

09-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter

The K-1000 and M50/1.2 were likely purchased as a set. The LX was the professional level Pentax I drooled over when I purchased the somewhat more affordable Super Program. Its exposure metering will easily out perform the K-1000's simple match needle system - especially given your preference for night/city shots.

My picks reading your posts: The LX with the FA28-105 as an 'all around' camera that can take advantage of the LX's auto-exposure, but still be used fully manually. I would also keep the M50 as a fast prime for low light situations (although you can only automate shutter speed with this lens). I might consider keeping the Sigma macro IF I didn't have another macro option. Half life-size is decent. Use the proceeds from the rest to hunt down some of the many many accessories produced for the LX.
09-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #10

--- I'm really confused as to which lenses are the most useful for which situations. ---

Again, you will have many different opinions. So all is subjective: in my book the lighter and smaller set-up (read f 1.7/50 or f2/50 lenses) is the most important parameter. Because it doesn't intimidate those who you photograph, because it is easier to carry around, because when you damage them it's no problem to get another one, and most of all (now people can stone me) because the quality is no less than the faster lenses. I print b&w 20X24 from negatives done with LX and 50/2 and they're absolutely fine. But so were the negatives from Olympus OM1 and 40mm (a beautiful small lens that was trashed in the resolution tests). Just try your LX and the 50/2, take it to your work, on your walks and shoot a lot . . .
09-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What condition is the PZ-1P in? I might be interested if you list it. Same goes for the ZX-5N.
09-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Most Useful or Best?

Hello SCADjacket,
I remember reading your last post, and thinking about what I would keep, in your shoes. Hard to really say, since I already have a large collection of "M"s and a few "A"s as well as many other lenses.
But here's my best advice.
Keep the LX. Forever.
Pick the most modern auto-focus Pentax body and keep that one. Likely the ZX.
Sell the other bodies for whatever you can get.
For lens selection, I'd be brutal. The single most versatile lens is the 28-105, that's a keeper for several reasons. First, it covers nearly the entire useable "walk-around" focal length range. On film, it's a medium wide to short telephoto. You may end up using ISO 400 film instead of 100, since it is (like most zooms) slow, but it's not a bad lens otherwise. I have the re-badged Promaster version and it's a very decent lens. Plus, it's autofocus, will match up perfectly with the A/F body and any future A/F or digital bodies you may get in the future.
Sell everything else except the 135mm. Everything.
An "A' or "M" 50mm f/1.7 will be sharper, faster and better in every way, than the 50mm f/2.0 Less than $100 for the "M", a little more (maybe) for the "A".
Then start working on the lenses you find you like, from using the A/F body and 28-105mm. A zoom has the great advantage of letting you "frame" a shot several ways from the same position. Soon you'll find that there are focal lengths you prefer. That's the way you see the world through a viewfinder.
Next, buy the best prime lens you can afford in that focal length.
Go from there.
JMO, YMMV
Ron
09-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Hey! You have the gear, why don't you keep the stuff you like and sell the stuff you don't like. Just about everything you listed is top shelf and worth owning. Now as for my personal preference...
  • Pentax LX
  • Nikon FE2
  • Pentax K1000 (sentimental)
Oh! You already said as much! Well, there you go.

Steve
09-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter

PZ1P! I wouldn't mind that if you listed it!
09-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. Helps me start to narrow it down.

Selecting lenses going forward is tough. With so many options and so many different variations it's hard to decide which ones are really worth buying due to quality and which ones you would really get use out of on a daily basis.