Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
This was not a P lens, and I don't know if non P lenses were still labelled XR?
The XR series are all labeled as such and date from about 1976 or 1977 (I think) and continued on through the mid-1980s.

P lenses all have the pin and are always labeled as such.

There are plain K-mount Ricoh/Rikenon (budget lenses not labeled XR or P) and I believe that all lack the pin, but I may be wrong.

Steve

06-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
but the KR5 super lost its battery cover.
I may be able to help you with that battery cover. I have a XR7 parts body and I believe that the cover from that camera will fit. At least it fits my very similar XR-2s. Let me know if you are interested in it.

Steve
08-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
These old Ricohs are selected to go with me on a long trip at end of August > Miami, Santiago de Chile, Antofagasta and north Chile, Santiago, Concepcion, Santiago, Lima Peru, Miami and home.
About 11 airport scans.
As I have to take checked bag with helmet and boots and some test gear on this trip I was thinking to take the 6X7 in the case. I posted a query on apug about 120 film developing in Concepcion, but no reply yet so I will just take the 35mm.
Max airport scans I have done with iso 400 film is about 5, and maybe the underexposed shots were showing a bit of fog, I don't know really.
So I will try to get the rolls developed in Concepcion , about half way and purchase some more there.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
08-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

On my trip 2 months ago to Nepal I had 8 scans and my film turned out fine. Even iso400. Take your MF gear, I don't regret taking mine around. And if you are worried just take iso 100-160 film.

09-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We, (the Ricoh KR-5 and the 3 Rikenon Lenses and me) finally arrived home after a long trip through Australia, Chile and Peru.
I did not have much time for photos due to my day job schedule, but I completed 2 rolls Fuji 200.

There is still a street front film developing shop at the eastern side of the square in centre of Concepcion, Chile but it was closed as I was there on a Sunday.

Walking around the centre of Miraflores, Peru I found 2 film shops. One was actually closing down its street shop and I was directed to a small photo studio down a side alley where the owners were moving to and they kindly stayed half hour late to process and scan my rolls.
The negs are quite OK but the scans jpgs are too over exposed and too saturated red so there is not much to do, maybe get a few scans/prints re-done from the negs.
In the other shop I purchased a roll of Kodak 400 to find it was a year expired; I will presume it is OK.

On one occasion I had camera problems, In a park I took the camera out of the bag and simultaneously the end trim ring fell off the focus ring of the Rik P Zoom, while the KR-5 metering gave up, indicating under exposure at all settings. Sitting on a park bench at first I thought the problems were related. Just when I needed no more confusion a young lady came over with some ideas that can't be discussed here.

Anyway the KR-5 started to work OK after the iso ring and coupling lever were rotated a few times, and the Rik XR 1:3.5 28mm lens was put on.
The P-Zoom was later fixed with a Leatherman and some electrical tape. I think the XR lenses are better quality, more long lived than the Rik -P's

Hotel stories: In Mejillones Chile staying in a hotel there was a small earthquake nearby (Calama) at 4:35 am and all inmates jolted awake with the bed shaking in a wierd circular motion. This is a very old town but the hotel is new and obviously built with seismic tech and the alarms did not sound.
In Lima Peru in a 16 floor hotel, ..another day, , at 1:32 am the seismic evacuation alarms went off in all rooms, ear splitting, and all the sleepy residents had extended pajama party in the lobby.

Festival Days: Santa Rosa de Lima, my client had to shut down the steel plant. So 3 of us went to maybe the best restaurant in Lima.
After a few pisco sours it was decided that the Wombat would have to pick up the tab because it was his birthday..well it was the best lunch we had for a long time.
Recorded only by a few smeary phone shots.
La cuenta? - the better part of the price of a nice new Pentax dslr... but good time and memories are more important!

Good fun, Viva the Ricoh slr!
09-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Just when I needed no more confusion a young lady came over with some ideas that can't be discussed here.
Ha ha ha! I'm guessing she didn't know how to fix your camera...

Overall, it sounds like you had a very interesting trip. I hope you get your camera gear all working well, it sounds like a good CLA might be the best solution for the camera and zoom, so that it can be relied on for your next trip.
09-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Just when I needed no more confusion a young lady came over with some ideas that can't be discussed here.
Impressed, no doubt, by the length and heft of your zoom...

Steve
09-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve, Rather unlikely for any old guy who still knows what a KR-5 is.
Yesterday, start of school year, I took my young son into his new classroom. Teacher, young lady, said to my son "Say goodbye to your GrandFather" !!

I have about 8 rolls of C41 MF and 35mm to process but no time to do it.
And the present worry is the white scum spots that appear on some rolls but not others, apparently from the final stabilizer, I see mention on apug but no definitive solution.

09-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Scans of my last trip with the Ricoh kit.
The Fuji 200 rolls went through 10 airport hand carry scans before they were processed in Peru.
The negs are fine as far as I can see.
The jpgs that the processor in Peru made were mostly wildy high in contrast and brightness and unrecoverable.
Most of those were street and beach shots early morning or cloudy etc.

I think the operator was not content with the original subdued images and over-corrected.
Only two of the photos were color balanced reasonably, one was a portrait and one was the brightly colored bull, below, where maybe the operator had something to work on.
The second shot, below, I scanned myself and adjusted the gamma for a natural balance.
Attached Images

09-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Nice pictures, wombat2go! You are making that KR-5 (and the Ricoh lenses) proud!
10-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #41
Forum Member

Here are some shots with a XR-7 (B&W rikenon 1.2 and color 28-100 Macro). R1 and 519 to come...

Last edited by verdigris; 11-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.
10-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
Here are some shots with a XR-7 (B&W rikenon 1.2 and color 28-100 Macro). R1 and 519 to come...
XR Rikenon 55/1.2! Woo! Hoo! And on an XR7 too!

Steve
02-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #43

More from my Hocir S2RX.

02-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #44

The other side of the Ferrari I posted earlier.

02-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #45

Michael Waltrip running Northwest Tour at Pacific Raceways near Seattle, 2003.