Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the PZ-1 and a lot of other cameras are way overpriced on eBay. In most cases there the seller won't know the history of the camera and things can be broken or seals bad. As another option I'd suggest you choose a camera and when you're ready to buy, look in the Marketplace here.

I recently was looking for an uncommon *ist film camera and I posted in the Wanted section of the Marketplace. Within a day I had two people offer me cameras for reasonable prices.

Last edited by builttospill; 09-29-2012 at 05:52 PM.
09-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats good advice, the problem is I am in the UK
09-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

That's okay, there are many forum members in the UK. It doesn't hurt to ask in the Wanted section, but be smart in the process to make sure you get what you want.
09-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
thats good advice, the problem is I am in the UK
Check out the UK based Pentax User Forum which has the equivalent of the marketplace.

BTW, I'd personally recommend the MX myself.

K.

09-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
+ 1 for LX, if your prepared to have it treated to a TLC service every now and again, you'll struggle to find IMHO a finer Pentax film camera.
09-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera needs to fufil the requirements of the instructor as a starting point, and they your requirements.

I would personally, if the instructor does not object, get a PZ-1 or PZ-1p, because they can work with every lens made except HSM lenses.

The PZ-1p is better with Mirror lock up and slightly higher frame rate, but both are capable cameras.

For a basic camera, with metering capability only, the KX or MX are good.

If you want manual and auto exposure modes, the ability to adda winder / grip go for a Ricoh XR-2s.

the XR-2s has an advantage over the KX with a vertical metal shutter as opposed to a horizontal cloth shutter, allowing flash sync at 1/125 as opposed to 1/60

the KX and XR-2s have identical control and viewfinder layout

the KX came either with horizontal split image or ground glass focusing screen (mine is ground glass for long lens use) the XR-2s has a diagonal split image focusing screen. note also the KX mirror is not large enough to cover the entire focusing screen when using long tele'lenses and starts blacking out at one edge above about 250mm
10-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if any one is still following this thread my 2 x local shops have:-
a used mZ-10 body for sale for £40.00
a Pentax MV 35mm SLR camera with the Pentax SMC 50mm f2 manual focus standard prime lens for £35.00
a MZ-50 35mm slr camera with the Tamron 28-100mm f4-5.6 autofocus zoom lens £55.00
a ME Super 35mm SLR camera with the Pentax SMC 40-80mm f2.8-4 manual focus zoom lens 60.00
a Pentax MZ-5 35mm slr camera with the Pentax 35-80mm f4-5.6 autofocus zoom lens £60.00

thoughts and suggestions would be welcomed

10-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

An MZ-10 would be nice because you can use newer Pentax lenses without aperture rings, as this camera controls aperture through the body. With older lenses you can still use the aperture ring. The build is all plastic but it's a basic camera with a manual mode and it would probably work for your class. Smaller VF but the body has auto focus.

The MV doesn't have a manual mode so it may not meet the requirements of your class.

I had a MZ-50 years ago and wasn't impressed. Lots of plastic. That being said I haven't owned an MZ-5 or MZ-10 either. The MZ-50 would probably meet the needs of your class, but pre A-series lenses are near useless on this body. A, F, FA, FA-J and DA lenses will work fine. Small VF but the body has AF.

The ME Super would be a decent option with a nice large VF. It has been suggested as an option a couple times in this thread. It's manual focus, but does have aperture priority mode using an aperture ring on the lens, as well as manual mode. Some don't like the buttons on the top used to set the shutter speed, but I've never found them to be a problem. Test these buttons thoroughly in the shop before buying though to make sure they are functional if you choose this camera. The 40-80 would be a nice lens for your class. Newer lenses without aperture rings would be near useless on this camera.

The MZ-5 isn't too different from from the MZ-10. It has a metal mount, but a lot of other plastic parts. It has simple control layouts similar to the older film cameras, which I'd like. However, this camera can't set aperture through the body, meaning newer lenses without aperture rings would be near useless. This would be a great camera for your class if you don't mind using FA and older lenses. Smaller VF but the body has AF.
10-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you I will go and have a look at them, but i think the ME will e the one.
10-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian

You're welcome. Make sure it's an ME Super, as the regular ME doesn't have a manual mode, similar to the MV.
10-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi to every one who came up with suggeations and to the couple of pm senders thank you to you all.
i bought a Cosina c1s for £10.00 as it was [1] dirt cheap and [2] you could not get more basic than that, [3] takes pentax lenses.
the meter agrees with my seconic hand held one and once I have run a film through and found hopefully no light leaks it will do fine for what i want. no double exposure or exposure lock but thats fina and i can getround exposure lock any way 'cause its full manual.
Don't realy need one but anybody got a address for a owners book? I can't see one on all the usual places.
thanks again
10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Hi to every one who came up with suggeations and to the couple of pm senders thank you to you all.
i bought a Cosina c1s for £10.00 as it was [1] dirt cheap and [2] you could not get more basic than that, [3] takes pentax lenses.
the meter agrees with my seconic hand held one and once I have run a film through and found hopefully no light leaks it will do fine for what i want. no double exposure or exposure lock but thats fina and i can getround exposure lock any way 'cause its full manual.
Don't realy need one but anybody got a address for a owners book? I can't see one on all the usual places.
thanks again
Cool You could do worse. It has the same works as the Nikon FM 10.

Steve