Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The shutter is very similar. Be prepared for a noise-fest.

Steve
dang... well... while I'd love to have a quiet cam for stealthy drunk wife photography, I'm mostly buying it just to have a second body around with different stock in it

10-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by poppaneedsanap Quote
for stealthy drunk wife photography
Careful...what goes around comes around...

Steve
10-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Drunk wife photography. How come there isn't a sub forum for that?
10-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Domenico Quote
Hello, I know this question could sound a bit odd to somebody, but noise is an issue for me. My mx is not that noisy, but its "stonk" could be somehow disturbing every now and then.
I had the occasion to play with a Contax Aria and a Contax rtsII and I remember they were really quiet. Has Pentax ever produced something like these ones?
Thanks
Not such an odd question. There are times when shutter noise can be a problem.

I agree with others that the ME Super is the quietest Pentax shutter I've come across.

The quietest K-mount SLR I've seen myself is the Chinon CE-4s, which is fairly similar to the ME Super in terms of age and specs.

I have both and just fired them. The Chinon is definitely quieter, in particular because its sound does not have a metallic ring that can be obvious with the ME Super.

Note that there can be variations between examples of a given model, I think largely depending on how they were last serviced. For example, I have 3 MXs, and they are quite different from one another. They range from slightly louder than the ME Super to much louder.

I have a vague memory that the Chinon noise level is similar to the original Contax RTS, but cannot comment on later models.

I'll add that I think the CE-4 and its siblings are pretty nice cameras. In my view the CE-4 has a better viewfinder display than the ME Super, and it has DOF preview. I bought my first in 1980. It gave good service for about 15 years under tough conditions. Got another cheaply not long ago for nostalgic reasons, and I still like it.

10-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've been considering testing the sound levels coming from cameras for sometime now but has anyone conducted one yet?

To be sure, everyone's hearing range and levels can very greatly and if you have ever had your hearing tested, you may be amazed at the results and the answers here - as well as my own opinion, is a good indication of that.
10-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Forum Member

ME Super is definitely quieter or has less high-end snap than the Super Program.

I might throw the SPL app on and see what it registers at.

As someone pointed out, it may not be quieter but is more muffled/deadened..
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

the ME Super actually makes a 'Plop' sound!

plop!

10-05-2012, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

ME Super is definitely quieter or has less high-end snap than the Super Program.

I might throw the SPL app on and see what it registers at.

As someone pointed out, it may not be quieter but is more muffled/deadened..
the ME Super actually makes a 'Plop' sound!

plop!
My Super-Program goes shaaPlump and is significantly louder than either of my Spotties (they go shhhaaamff except for the low speeds where it is shhaaamff...riki...riki..riki). My Ricoh XR-2s has a solid two-note clunk that is very similar to the Nikon FE (they share Copal electro-mechanical shutters). My noisiest focal-plane shutter camera is a Ricoh Singlex TLS. The original Copal Square shutter in that body could wake the dead with its metallic clunk!

It would be sort of interesting to make a series of mp3 of the different shutter noises, though I do not have the gear.

Steve
10-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Unlike the LX which makes a very distinct kerr-chingggggg... sort of noise. Very distinctive shutter sound compared to my other Pentaxes.

K.
10-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I commend the descriptive representations of camera sounds here!

Here is one for the Pentax KX 1/30 http://www.fototime.com/D53C47F9A8983D9/convx264.mp4
Pentax KX 1 sec http://www.fototime.com/7529FA8A2C7AB4B/convx264.mp4

Capturing the 1 sec shutter seems appropriate but I'm wondering if it is better to capture the sound at sync speed as a reference?
10-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I commend the descriptive representations of camera sounds here!

Here is one for the Pentax KX 1/30 http://www.fototime.com/D53C47F9A8983D9/convx264.mp4
Pentax KX 1 sec http://www.fototime.com/7529FA8A2C7AB4B/convx264.mp4

Capturing the 1 sec shutter seems appropriate but I'm wondering if it is better to capture the sound at sync speed as a reference?
It would be interesting to compare slow vs. fast speeds as well. 1/60s and above use a different mechanism.

Steve
10-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #27
Forum Member

Maybe you could marry an old film back to the front of a K-01?
10-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Unlike the LX which makes a very distinct kerr-chingggggg... sort of noise. Very distinctive shutter sound compared to my other Pentaxes.
Part of the LX sound is the foil shutter used instead of cloth. It is more similar to the Canon F1 and Nikon X - which both used titanium foil.
10-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It would be interesting to compare slow vs. fast speeds as well. 1/60s and above use a different mechanism.
Steve
On some cameras, you can't judge the shutter speed based on shutter speed.

From previous pop photo magazine testing setup, I know I need a means of capturing the audio without audio level control to ensure the proper levels are represented. Also need to setup a proper audio chamber to minimize external influence. Unfortunately, as good a condition as my cameras are, I can't say they are in original factory condition and this may be an improper representation.
10-07-2012, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

If I may be permitted to summarize the thread so far:

stonk, slap, flip, clang, ring, snap, plop, shhhaaamff, shhaaamff...riki...riki..riki, clunk, kerr-chingggggg!

This is just for the benefit of anyone joining us late. Carry on.